Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

witch winch would be better for my honda rancher

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2000, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey im getting a rancher and I need a winch for it and I need a winch that is low priced, durable,
and realible. Also I do not no anything about winch'es because we never had one. One more question, do they drain the battery???

Old 04-23-2000, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

Need help decibing wicth one is better for me.

Old 04-23-2000, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

When you say "low-priced", what price range are you looking at? You may want to do a search on Ebay. You will sometimes find a good price. Someone had a Warn 2000 for $60. It was just the winch and you would have to get the switch, mount etc., but was a good buy for a budget purchase.

Old 04-23-2000, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

$80.00 to $150.00 for every thing. Do you think I can get it that cheap???

Old 04-23-2000, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

lovinhonda:
If I remember right, you can get a Superwinch T1500 for around $140-150. I myself use a Warn, which I got for $69 when I bought the 'Cat. I have never had any prior experience with Superwinch, but they are very good winches as well. I would recommend that you buy a good ****** block, as that will double your winching power, which also lightens the load on the winch and your machine for easier pulls.

As for your question about draining the battery-YES. You have to consider that on the Warn winch, with a full 2000 lb. pull, the winch is drawing somewhere around 180 amps, if I remember right. That is way more than your battery and alternator can handle, so it will drain the battery. However, most winch pulls are only a few minutes long, just hook up, and get yourself out. By doing this, the winch does it's job, gets you out, or does the work, and won't drain the battery as bad. Just your normal running around will keep it charged plenty good. For those circumstances where you need constant winching power, you'll need to feel the winch motor. If it is too hot to touch, you'll need to stop winching for a while to let it cool down, then start up again. During this time, your battery will also be able to re-charge itself for the next run. Again, with the use of a ****** block, you can double your power, which makes it easier for the winch to do it's job.

One other thing-if you happen to go with the Superwinch, I have heard of a lot of problems with the older style rocker switch burning up. Superwinch has completely redesigned a new style that is black with orange if I remember right, which is supposed to be a lot better switch. So, if you go with the Superwinch, try to get that style of switch, and you shouldn't have a problem.

If you are also looking for a good place to buy from, I would suggest looking at Cabela's. Go to their web page-www.cabelas.com, and click on their free catalog section. I ordered both the fall one, and the green colored master catalog. Both were free, and I just receieved the master catalog the other day. It has between 12-14 pages of stuff for atv's, including both warn and superwinch winches, and accessories. The fall catalog-with the elk on front-also has about 6 pages or so of atv stuff, of which is different than the master catalog. Anyhow, their prices are pretty good, and their service is great. I hope this helps, and good luck with your choice. I strongly believe that the winch is the most important investment you can possibly make for any atv.

Good luck, happy winching!

Mike