Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX A-arms on a 300Ex frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2000, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have 250R front shocks on my 96 350XX, but the angle of the shocks it too straight up and down and it causes some strange diving in corners by the front end. I was wanting to put the wider 400EX A-arms on there to put the angle of the shock back to normal, not to mention make the whole bike a little more stable since it will be wider. Has anyone done this modification? It looks like they would bolt right up but I was wondering about the tie-rod end. The 300 is mounted right side up, and the 400 is mounted up side down so I was wondering if that caused a problem?

jason
96 350XX

Old 04-24-2000, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

i hear that it bolts right up to the 300ex
and the 250 and 300 are the same so i would call and make sure
hope i helped
later

Old 04-27-2000, 03:31 PM
Range Rover

Wow,

You got a 250r shock to compress into the upper shock mount on a 300ex frame?

Actually the correct way to do it is to make a new upper shock mount so the front geometry will be retained.

I have a 91 TRX350x, and I installed a set of 250r a-arms and shocks on it. I will have pictures and information about doing such a swap on my website soon. Link below.

Old 04-27-2000, 04:45 PM
Range Rover

Brads right, in order for R shocks to work, you need to change the upper shock tower mount along with the a-arms, simply bolting 400EX a-arms up won't solve your problem at all (It will be even worse, because a 400EX has more travel up front than an R). The reason your quad turns funny is because you actually have TOO MUCH travel. The more travel you get, the harder it will be for a quad to turn (For example, all the pro's are going back to the stock R width frame, yes they lose travel from not running the narrow frame rails, BUT they can turn better). Plus you have changed the leverage ratio on the shocks and your probably not doing the ball joints any good either (They weren't ment to move as far as you are making them move and it can hurt very bad if one breaks). Your quad would handle much better by simply putting the original 300EX shocks back on...

Personally, I'd be scared to ride your quad, because R shocks are quite a bit longer than a 300EX's, so your a-arms have got to be at an extremely dangerous angle. I'd be amazed if the ball joints aren't binding, and if they are, it's just a matter of time before one breaks and hurts you realy bad (My friend can tell you how much it hurts when a Leager's a-arm breaks a ball joint tapped out in sixth and having a 330 lb quad nail him in the back after it flipped 10-15 ft in the air)...

My advise would be to change a-arms even if you put the 300EX shocks on it, because I wouldn't trust them. Maybe consider buying ones made specifically for your machine and also buying the correct suspension to go along with them!!! Yes, I've seen people put R a-arms and shocks on, and so I would bet 400EX ones would also fit, BUT have someone like a local quad performance shop that builds them or another similar type of knowlegeable person perform the proper mods correctly. I have seen ads in magazines for a company that sells a 250X/300EX to 250R suspension mod kit that comes with the necessary parts needed to do it right (I can't remember the companies name, but there is a picture of a Honda Pilot in there add if I remember correctly) That way all you will need is to find a good welder who can weld on the new mount. Also, if you call them, remember to tell them exactly what a-arms and suspension you want to use, 250R or 400EX, because they are a little different and then you will get the correct mounts for the set-up you want to use.

I hope this helps,

Sickman

Old 04-28-2000, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer

Oops! I guess I didn't explain everything. I mounted 250R shocks on my 300EX frame, but not to the stock mounts. That's impossible. I made a bracket that moved the upper shock mount up about 4 inches so the 250R shock would fit. The problem is I also couldn't move the lower mount on the A-arm outward so the shock is literlly straigh up and down. I have checked around a bit and the conversion to 400EX A-arms looks pretty simple. The only modification that needs to be made is an indention needs to be made in the backside of the lower A-arms to alow the quad to still use its full turning radius. The stock ones on 300's have these but the 400's don't. I am ordering the A-arms Monday and am gonna give it a try.

jason
96 350XX