Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

oil in airbox

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 05:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in airbox

i noticed there is some oil in my airbox is this a cuase for concern there is about a 1/4 inch, i have a 2003 honda 350 4X4

Old 04-09-2003, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default oil in airbox

There is a crank case vent tube that is vented into the air box. Mabey you were running up a steep hill, or it was over full on oil?? I don't think it'll hurt anything, but I know what you mean though, it's not suppose to be there.

Old 04-10-2003, 06:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default oil in airbox

Gumby,

It is not all uncommon for a new motor to produce a little blowby until the rings fully seat. I Dont know how many miles you have on it, but being an 03, probably not alot. I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on it. It should go away with more ride time.

Brian

Old 04-10-2003, 07:07 AM
Trailblazer
Default oil in airbox

it has 1300kms on it, im going to soak up the oil in it and see if anymore appears this is the first brand new bike a had, ive never had this problem before so i was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this

Old 04-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default oil in airbox

The air filter is supposed to have oil in it. Maybe some came from the filter. There shouldn't be that much though. When preparing the atv for sale. Could the garage have put too much oil on the filter or does the factory handle that? Just a thought.

Old 04-10-2003, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default oil in airbox

I agree with you, Coyotechaser, the dealer probably went a little monkey with the amount of oil they put on the filter. If memory serves, you're supposed to soak the filter in gear oil (80w90) and gently wring it out before you put it back on. I've got an '02 Rancher and I had a bit of oil in the moisture collector on the bottom of the airbox for the first hundred clicks or so, then it went away. What ever it is, judging from the amount of people this happens to, either Honda is a secret subsidiary of Harley Davidson, or this is perfectly normal.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil in airbox

They get overfilled alot I think. It's kind of a strange engine case arrangement. It's a dry sump, like a 400ex or rubicon, but the oil tank is inside the cases. If you don't let the machine idle for 5 minutes on level ground before you check the oil you will have the wrong amount of oil, probably too much. I've seen some problem in very cold weather too, with the crank vent, the big hose from the engine to the airbox freezing up, especially where it joins the airbox. You should find a small maybe inch square foam filter there. If it freezes in that area, it can pressurize the cases and the oil will come out where it may, often in the airbox. I have also seen shifter seals popped out from this. Also I have been told that in cold weather, when your engine oil is thick, it is prone to ending up in the airbox if you don't let the machine idle or run very easy the first 5 minutes or so.

Old 04-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default oil in airbox

I've seen it happen, but only on a machine that was rolled.

Old 04-26-2003, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default oil in airbox

listen to dzzy everthing he has said is 100percent ture right from Honda

Old 04-26-2003, 11:10 PM
Range Rover
Default oil in airbox

To get an accurate reading of your oil, you must first warm your motor. The oil will expand and read higher up on the dipstick. If your oil is completely full when cold, when it gets warmed up, it is to much.

Quick Reply: oil in airbox