Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Looking for a used 400ex any problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a used 400ex any problems

Im looking for a used 400ex from '99 to a '02 is there any problems a should watch out for in theses years?

Old 04-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

I've read that the swingarms can crack under racing conditions.

Old 04-20-2003, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Can you say BULLETPROOF!

Old 04-20-2003, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

The swingarms on any make and model can crack under the right conditions. The 400EX is as tough and dependable, if not more so, than any other quad made.

Old 04-20-2003, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes the swing arms break if raced. i've broke two stock,two lone star, and one rpm. look for cracks that start at the plugs at the front of the swing arm. no small cracks, good swing arm. lone star like to brake on chain side towards front. also cracks on welds for shock mount. rpm first starts to crack at welds by needle bearing pivots. all these arms except for the first one broke with a axis shock. frame cracks in various locations. first cracks will appear at head stay mounts. also check tubes above front shocks, and tubes above pegs were welds are. stock bearing carrier likes to crack around chain side. besides what you read in magazines i barely tweaked the stock axel. i use it when my rpm is getting restraitened. with lots of oil changes and filter cleans the engine lasts. never split the cases yet. put a cam and a big bore carb, pipe, high compression piston, and the bore of your choice and you'll be much happier. just plan on putting head gaskets in ever once and a while. i hope i did'nt sound to negative i've had a lot of fun with it since i bought it in 99.

Old 04-21-2003, 01:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks I'll look for thats when shopping around for my 400ex

Old 04-21-2003, 11:06 AM
Range Rover

I just bought an '03 and love it. Check out this article from this site but not linked anywhere on it.

http://www.atving.com/editor/review/...0ex/review.htm

After reading all the current magazines, I expected the 400ex to be a dog. Not the case! It moves! It's a very well thought out and well designed quad, too. The attention to detail is far overlooked and I can tell it well last for many, many years.

When shopping, look for abuse. Any quad in the wrong hands can become a beater. Check for frame cracks anywhere from wrecks. Check the dip stick for cleanliness of oil. That can be a sign of how well it has been maintained. And if it doesn't run for whatever reason, don't buy it, no matter what the price, unless you want a project.

Old 04-21-2003, 02:18 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Hey thanks mrbones for that old review.

Could you point out where those old tests are located over at ATV Connection Magazine.

I know that most are located in ATV Reviews but not all of the past tests/reviews are in that section.

Chet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Also the rear brakes go out on them.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2003, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

I did a search for Honda 400ex in Google and it came up in the top ten. It's probably an old link they don't even know is still there. You can search Google using one domain in the advanced search section. But, you will get a lot of results from the message boards. Other than that, I don't know how else to find them.

Quick Reply: Looking for a used 400ex any problems