Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Please read over!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2000, 08:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as best quad for you, try riding different kinds if you have met people with them. For trails a 400EX would be a good quad, because if you ever decide to race they are very competitive with 250R's and Banshee's. But if you like the 2-stroke power, try riding a 250R once. They are not as fast as the Banshee, but they handle much better than a Banshee. The only problem is they are old, and they are hard to find due to such a high demand for them. The 400EX actually is designed similar to the 250R, so it also outhandles the Banshee, which does make a big difference, especially in trails. Basically the 250R is the best quad for ever built for racing MX and is the most versitile. But now new models are finally coming out, so that's all good.

Maybe start on something like a 400EX, because they are about the easiest quad to ride. Then if you ride friends 2-stroke enough that you would rather have that kind of power after some experience, you could always sell it and buy something different.

But no matter what I say, your best bet is to try as many out as possible if you, then you will know what you like, not what other people feel you should like.

Happy Hunting,

Sickman

Old 01-20-2000, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Brad..
Don't listen to Roostking, the 400EX is the way to go. It'll set you back $5500 but your getting a race proven engine(thats easy to upgrade)a race proven chassis made by a leader in the industry,not to mention the best name in ATVing-Honda. I wonder how much roosting the Roostking does on his farm tractor, the Polaris scrambler 400 4x4? I can't wait till they invent a real transmission. Maybe they should stick to snowmobiles and let the pros build quads!

Old 01-20-2000, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

I have a bike... I was giving info not looking for it lol
Heck I've had 3 banshee's , warrior, numerous dirt bikes, a recon and now a FOREMANes

but thanks

------------------
Brad

99'FOREMANes, 26" BUGS, Maier full chasis skid plate, A.P. bash plate and stick guards, winch, supertrapp ids, K&N, dual snorkel, and a jet kit, yea buddy..

Old 01-21-2000, 11:39 AM
Range Rover

Packerdave, if polaris is so bad why do they continue to pass the other manufacters in sales numbers even though they tend to be slightly more expensive? Are you saying a vast majority of atv riders are just are not the super smart and savy rider that you are?
Polaris was a late comer into the atv game. First they passed Suzuki then they blew by Kawasaki next it was Yamaha then they drew up on Honda and rumour has it that this year they will pass Honda for the #1 sales leader in overall atv sales. So my question to you would be if a company is as ****ty as you would have people to believe how can they sell more atvs than anyone else?( also they spend half as much as Honda does on advertising so most of Polaris sales are generated by word of mouth) It's funny how the people who spend their time ******* other brands rarely have had much experience with them. Most all of the atv manufactures make a decent machine. It is the people who feel intimidated by another machine that get into the ******* of other peoples quads.

[This message has been edited by joemag500 (edited 01-21-2000).]

Old 01-21-2000, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

joemag500, If what you say is true, you will be able state the exact source of you figures. This is normally a very common ploy, telling people something without a source in the hopes that the masses won't try to look into it and take it for fact. If it is true, I will accept it. But I want to see the actual figures from the source. Polaris is not a verifiable source. JD Power and Associates is not a verifiable source as they are swayed with "research costs" (read bribes).

Thanks,

------------------

Old 01-21-2000, 02:25 PM
Trailblazer

When was the last time you saw a Polaris race the Baja 1000 or similar type races? Everyone knows you can beat the living **** out of a Honda or Yamaha, and it will keep going. And you can resell it for a halfway decent price. I can't ever remember seeing a Polaris sport machine sell for anything but the bare minimum. To a knowledgeable buyer, anyways.

If you are getting a starter quad, and might trade up to a larger, faster machine, make sure you start with a Honda or Yamaha. You'll be able to resell them easily and get most of your money back if you don't smack it up. If you want to start out top-of-the-line, 400ex, Banshee, or DS650 is it(for new machines). Those DS's are big sons of bitches, though. Might have difficulty in the tight woods trails.

Old 01-21-2000, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

What I am thinking about now is the 400EX, 300EX, Yamaha Warrior, or a scrambler 5004X4. I am not really sure on the scrambler though. Can you guys help me decide. I definitly am going to get one of them. Not a suzuki, or kawaski. Nothing against them... I just like the other ones better. Another question is reverse.... Is it needed? If not that will also sway my decision.

Old 01-21-2000, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

Get a 300EX if you want reverse. They handle very good. They have a good motor that can be upgraded if needed. And they are very very reliable.

------------------
Y2K300EX

'00 Honda 300EX

Old 01-21-2000, 05:38 PM
Range Rover

All you need reverse for is backing in or out of the garage, and backing off the trailer. Although if you like to go muddin, it can help get you out.

Old 01-21-2000, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

OK, your going to get a lot of confusing posts about what to get. My job is to try to be a clear and straight to you as possible. I don't think you need 4x4. From your post I'm pretty confident you want awesome speed and acceleration. The only way your going to get that 2-stroke feel is from a 2-stroke. I suggest a Honda 250R for the trails or a Suzuki LT250R. The Banshee isn't that great in the trails, but with mods it will work. Now if you want a 4 stroke but want serious perfomance I would go with the 400EX or for the ultimate DS650. Either machine is a great choice.

------------------
Evan Johnson 400EX/LT250R

Quick Reply: Please read over!