Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

types fo winches

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default types fo winches

no it is about $75 cheaper then the superwinch and plates. the tusk 2000lb winch is 110 and plates are 75, but I never heared of that brand. I just don't want to get stuck and then get let down by the winch I never heared of.

Old 05-03-2003, 04:54 AM
Range Rover
Default types fo winches

That sounds awfully cheap. I guess if it came with a year warranty at least then you might be ok, but I dunno. Warn has a good name but they're expensive. Superwinch is more of a budget unit but still is widely used. Tough call, especially when money is an issue, but I can relate to that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

JC

Old 05-03-2003, 04:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default types fo winches

The Tusk is just a brand name from Rocky Mountain. They also have stuff like Tusk grips. I believe that the Tusk 2000 is the same thing as the Superwinch 2000 but with Superwinches older switch. I don't have any proof of this but if you compare pictures of the two. They look alike and come with the same items. (Like the metal bar to grab the hook.) Superwinch allows Cabela's to name a "SW" a Trail Tamer.
The 3000lb. Moose is a Superwinch and another site states that their winch is the same as a Superwinch and it just has their brand on it. They even show a picture of the Superwinch.

Old 05-03-2003, 05:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default types fo winches

I think that other site was Cycle Country that Jerms wrote about above. But they charge alot more than Rocky Mtn.

Old 05-05-2003, 02:41 PM
Range Rover
Default types fo winches

well today I ordered the tusk 2000lb winch. since money is the problem thats the one I had to go with. I should have it 5-6 days. I order it from rockymountainatv.com I order it and told them I wil pay c.o.d. when it got here. Is it hard to install a atv winch? thanks for the info

Old 05-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Range Rover
Default types fo winches

Now you can go mudding with confidence! Plus, you can pull your buddies out of mudholes and feel superior to them, too! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img];[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] What kind of winch mount did you choose? Did you get a roller fairlead to go with it?
They're not too hard to install. Just allow yourself a little bit of time to do it, that's all.

JC

Old 05-05-2003, 03:02 PM
Range Rover
Default types fo winches

Since you never mentioned it, what kind of quad do you have?

Old 05-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default types fo winches

On the Recon, There are 4 loop type clamps that go around the frame. The bolts go through the holes in the mount plate and down through the bolt holes in the clamps. The winch mounts onto the plate with 2 bolts. The fairlead mounted on the pushbar with 2 more bolts and 2 clamps. Then you just wire the wires from the battery forward under the seat and plastic to the switch. The wires from the winch also go to the switch. I mounted my switch on the rear part of the front rack because the speedo is on the bars. Also I can reach it better when I'm handling the winch cable. Also you have to take one roller off the fairlead to feed the hook through and then bolt roller back on.

Depending on your quad, mounting could be different. Tell us how everything works out.

Old 05-06-2003, 01:37 AM
Range Rover
Default types fo winches

I have a 2003 Honda 350 4x4 Rancher Es. I love it. Me and some buddies got it stuck sunday night. Thank goodness I had a tow rope with me they pulled me out. I love my quad. I only have 240 miles on it. I have another question, How can I get my pic of my quad on the net? and yes jerms I got the roller fairlead mount plate.

Old 05-06-2003, 01:49 AM
Range Rover
Default types fo winches

You have a great machine there. It should be able to do most anything you need it to do unless you race ATV's or something.
The easy way to share photos would be to go to http://photos.yahoo.com/ and if you don't already have a YahooGroups account then create one. It's free. You can then upload photos and share them with others.
Glad to hear you got the roller fairlead. It's much easier on your cable and will allow you to winch yourself out of more difficult situations, such as pulling from an angle.
Let us know when you get all your stuff and post a picture for us to see!

Good luck,
JC

Quick Reply: types fo winches