Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex wheelie

i can't seem to wheelie my 400ex verry well. i can get the front wheel up in with the just the throtle, and in second if i'm going over a bump. but i can't hold it. i've heard that 400ex's should be easy to wheelie. i just can't seem to get it right, or hold the wheelie for very long. can i get any tips on how to do this better?

Old 05-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default 400ex wheelie

put it in second gear rev it up a little and pop the clutch your front end should come up prity quick

Old 05-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex wheelie

what i do is i have it in 1st gear and then i have my right knee on my seat and my foot will be on the back bumper and thenmy left leg is near the clutch so i could shift if need when doing a wheelie, thats the best way to wheelie i think i can doit for a long ways also. or you can just sit onthe seat and pull up on the quad and give gas at the same time and you should get it up....but dont pull to much or you will fall on your butt, done that to many times....

Old 05-04-2003, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400ex wheelie

Do you have a pipe?? I have a CT pipe(it puts out the most horsepower but it is also the loudest) and I can pull a wheelie in 3rd or 4th just by hitting the gas.

Old 05-04-2003, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex wheelie

Originally posted by: bighonda
what i do is i have it in 1st gear and then i have my right knee on my seat and my foot will be on the back bumper and thenmy left leg is near the clutch so i could shift if need when doing a wheelie, thats the best way to wheelie

Thats a cheater wheelie...anyone can do that on any quad....keep your *** right on the seat, lean back, tug on the bars, and give it some throttle. That will produce a wheelie. Don't pop the clutch thats not needed and it will come up quickly for an inexperienced wheelier such as yourself, thats just a good way to get hurt. Just find yourself a nice open area to practice...start off in second gear....after you learn to hold them try shifting through all the gears, or atleast up a few.

In my 250X days I could go from 1st to 5th on the rear wheels....most people don't use the clutch when riding a wheelie but I always do...no need to shift a tranny without using the clutch, it's got one for a reason, use it or you'll asking for problems.

Old 05-04-2003, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex wheelie

I have a 300ex but i heard that 400ex's wheelie better. All you have to do is practice. First go in first up a little hill and gas it and throw you butt down on the back of the seat. Then once you can get it up find the balance point. Once you get compfortable with the balance point you can ride them for ever. I learned that if you want to do wheelies in a higher gear it is easier to stand up while doing them. I practiced that and now in second gear i can hit my balance point standing up and can ride them in third a long ways. You can also shift while doing wheelies which is really easy after you do it the first time. The only thing that can help you on those is that you have to start the wheelie sitting down with you foot underneath the shifter, and dont shift when you are 2 inches from the wheelie bar or you will hit it.

Old 05-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex wheelie

On mine even in 5th I just have to punch it and tug on the bars and it'll pull right up

Old 05-04-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex wheelie

Yup an EX will come up in any gear. Only advice I can give is practice....you'll get a feel for what needs to be done. Find a nice flat area and spend about an hour doing wheelies, you should have 'em down by the time you leave. Check out WWW.CVBOYZ.COM and download the vid for some ideas on what to do when you get the front off the ground.

Here's a pic for ya too.... Click Here

Good luck with those wheelies.

-Josh

Old 05-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex wheelie

i know how to fix ur problem, buy a raptor, i cant drive it without doing a wheelie

Old 05-05-2003, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer
Default 400ex wheelie

ahh yes...wheelies. Yea the old knee on the seat is the easiest way but i also think thats cheating. Most people stay on the seat. Well i think its easier if your just barely off the seat. Bost feet on the pegs but have your *** way back but just a couple inches off the seat after you get on the wheelie its easier to controll like this. I can ride a wheelie through every gear on a rancher as long as nothings in my way. Ive rode wheelies for probably 200 yards or more. Remember if you get at too much of an angle and think your goin all the way back then pull your weight up and slam that foot brake. If your riding a clutch just pop the clutch when you pull out. If your on a utility quad just hold the gear shift up in 2nd gear and rev it and then let it loose. After some practice its simple. Also try finding small humps and goin over them in 2nd or 3rd and just gas it. clutching it isnt necessary. As long as your not scared its easy done. Just remember the quads not gonna come all the way back on you. You might find yourself layin on the ground with your quad straight up but I dont think its dangerous at all. Wheelieing is somethin that can be done with perfection on almost any quad. Thats the beauty of it.

Quick Reply: 400ex wheelie