Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1985 ATC250R - Help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 06:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 ATC250R - Help please

Hello fellow off-roaders...

I just took over my fathers 85' 250R.. He hasn't ridden it for several years (maybe 15). After cleaning it up and taking it over to the local riding area (prarie city - Sacramento, CA) It has a few problems, and I need some advice please. After coming back from a short ride and killing the engine, gas leaks out of the carburator. I pulled it apart, cleaned everything up, and put it back together. It still leaks. It will continue to leak until

A) I shut off the gas or
B) The entire tank is drained

(My wife was unhappy to see several gallons of premix on the garage floor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ).

Also, I noticed after riding that the front suspension is very mushy. Is it common to have to replace the springs (I assume this is the problem) after sitting for so long? I changed the fork oil, but it made no difference. The rear suspension seems fine, as I'm a lightweight. But my heavier buddy thinks it is way too soft, even with the preload adjustment maxed out. Does this have anything to do with the nitrogen canister being empty? Can this be re-filled? Is it expensive?

One more thing - Brakes. After adjusting the parking brake, it sticks until I pull on the adjuster to loosen it. I asssume this means that the cable is binding up, is there anything available to lube the cables with, or do I have to buy new cables? I'm a college student on a college student's budget..

The engine seems fine, no leaks anywhere, starts up on the second kick almost every time. I think this will be a great toy for pismo over labor day, provided I can these items fixed. Too bad I only have turf-tamers.. Thank you!

Old 05-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

the gas leaks out because gas was sittin in the carb for that long and wore the needle valve out. there really cheap and easy to replace.

Old 05-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

Problem #1. Gas leak. I found an '85 ATC250R and built my quad out of it- Had this very problem. It could deffinately have worn out your needle valve and I'm almost positive that your haveing problems with your gas tank. Over the years, a film has formed on the inside of your tank, and now it is peeling off and ultimately stopping at the needle valve causing it to stay open. The little mesh screen that is used as a filter is probably all but completely gone. Empty your tank and shine a flashe light all around the outside while you look all around the inside. You should be able to see the film. You might want to take it to a car wash or better yet, if you can get a steam washer to use, spray out that tank like a mad man. I've heard of their being auto shops that will wash out tanks to get rid of films like this, but I'm not sure what it would do to your plastic tank. I fixed mine by getting a new tank when I turned it into a quad.

Problem #2. Mushy front suspension. If you are not leaking oil, probably all you need is a little air in the forks. Nitrogen works best because it is dry and air isn't, however, air will work just fine. There is a little schrader valve at the top of each of the forks where you can hook up a regular bicycle pump and literally, pump up your shocks. I recommend the hand pump because it is very easy to blow out your seals with too much pressure. I think the recommended is 6psi or so, not sure, call honda. The rear shocks where always soft on the older bikes, as long as you like it and your not constantly bottoming, It'll be fine. It can be rebuilt though.

Problem #3. The brake cables sticking. There is a device that is used to lube the cables, most any shop will have it, just ask. However, they don't work all that well and to buy the tool and the lube, you'll probably be at around $15 and you could just get a new cable for about $20. Do as you wish, it is nice though to have the lube and tool to keep your new cable feeling new.

Good luck, the Honda 250R's are the best of the best, I know you'll have a blast in the dunes with it. Just watch out for those turns!!
JP