Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250R Question need answers please

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250R Question need answers please

hey i have a 1986 250R three wheeler and i plan to convert it to a fourwheeler but i plan to do that by taking the rear end of the trike and putting it into a 4-wheeler frame then custom build the front. I know it will be more expensive but my questions are will the rear end fit? and will it handle like a TRX250R cuz i have a friend wit a trx250r so i can look at his to build the front end so tell me what u think thanks

Old 05-08-2003, 11:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have another one to look at and think it might work, then there's not much but time stopping you. I say go for it!

Old 05-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

I say don't ruin a 3 wheeler...just buy a TRX250R frame....it's a waste of time...money...and a 3 wheeler to "make your own frame" if your going to try and do that make the whole thing not cob onto the existing "rear"..thats where weakness and a dangerous end reslt occurs...There is really no advantage to attempting to build your own frame....and you need to bend square tubing....that will suck trying to get them both exactly the same....even if you do that the wole frame of a 3 wheeler is different so you will have to mix and match 3 and 4 wheeler stuff if something were to break....the reason you don't see these conversions is .......to be honest...they suck.

Old 05-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

casco? theres another honda freak on this site from there. he's into pilots. he would be able to help you out hes pretty smart. i say buy lrd frame and start from there.

Old 05-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

I'm glad I'm not the first one to rain on your parade (killer250r beat me to it), but your idea is very shotty. First off, I'll just say that there are probably only a few people on these forums that actually have the money and dedication to go through with the 'Big Plans' that are mentioned on these forums. Nothing wrong with that, we all like to dream, and your dreams may be closer to reality than some others. However, the dream you are talking about will end up as a nightmare. It seemed as though you stated that you were actually going to use a quad frame.

" i plan to do that by taking the rear end of the trike and putting it into a 4-wheeler frame"

If you do this, then what the heck is the point of custom making the front? I am pretty sure that you ment that you would cut up the trike and add on a homebuilt quad front end. If this is correct, I say don't waste your time. There is a reason that aftermarket frames cost so much. It is because they take a LOT of time to develop and average joes can't build them. Take Doug Roll for example, it took him what, 10 years to perfect the LOBO II chassis? And this guy is a PRO! If you start this project, I think that all you'll end up with is a hacked up three wheeler and a big pile of crap. But if you have the time, money, and experience, then go for it. Hey, it's your project, right?

But if it where up to me, I'd gather up all of the quad parts (frame, a- arms, etc.) and make it a real quad. But this also is very time consuming and expencive, I know cause it's what I did. Look at my pictures. All of the swing arm stuff will work on the quad. And save EVERY single nut and bolt from the trike, they are very expencive from honda and you'll need all sorts of them to make the quad.
Good luck,
JP

Old 05-09-2003, 12:16 PM
Trailblazer

IT seems some of u may have mis understood me i plant to buy a fourwheeler frame and by buiding the front end i mean buy a- arms, tie rods, etc and put them on the fourwheeler. I have no intention to cut up the three wheeler all im doing is using it to get the engine and rear end and i appreciate the responses