Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

When Coyote's attack!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 10:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When Coyote's attack!!!

Happy huntin' lep! In the summer many a night goes by with the sound of those@#%$
critters. I've lived in this area over 12 years and just recently saw a wild rabbit.
I'm gonna have some time this year to go huntin' them mangy dogs!!!

Old 06-15-2003, 01:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think that coyotes belong in nature to keep a balance. If there are too many coyotes then something is missing in nature. Like wolves or mountain lions. But coyotes do not belong pressed up against a glass door. There are going to be more and more encounters with people because of building houses in the animals habitat. People want to move to nature and then kick nature out when it crosses their path.

In reference to this situation. The coyote should be removed because it is over stepping it's bounds.

I just think that the atv rides would be a very boring experience without the anticipation of seeing the wild animals.

Old 06-15-2003, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Coyotechaser
I think that coyotes belong in nature to keep a balance. If there are too many coyotes then something is missing in nature. Like wolves or mountain lions. But coyotes do not belong pressed up against a glass door. There are going to be more and more encounters with people because of building houses in the animals habitat. People want to move to nature and then kick nature out when it crosses their path.

In reference to this situation. The coyote should be removed because it is over stepping it's bounds.

I just think that the atv rides would be a very boring experience without the anticipation of seeing the wild animals.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I used to kill coyotes like crazy, I used my little ruger22 target rifle. We killed them in the day, sometimes not often. Usually we put out bait in the day and killed them at night with a spotlight. Now I don't mess with them, they can be a nuisance but usually they don't bother anything. They'll take a calf or a dog everyknow and again but most of the time they'll stick with groundhogs and other wild animals. My pitbull killed a couple of them until he turned up missing one night. I never seen him again. I have two german shepherds and a chow now and they'll bark at the coyotes but they don't seem to ever bother each other. I like to go riding my rancher and camp out down here on my land by the creek and just listen to they coyotes and the frogs. To me that is what living is all about just loving life and every thing in it, God bless.

Old 06-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Range Rover

Don't misunderstand my post- I believe in the balance of nature, survival of the fittest and all that'
it's just that the balance in my area is off-kilter. The coyote needs to be thinned out here, they have
overrun their food source and are turning to domestic animals. Also, with pelt prices down, they
aren't worth harvesting (my neighbor is a trapper from way back) I love to see wildlife- it's not un-
common to see deer,turkeys,otter,beaver,bald eagle,elk,fox and even a bob-cat here and there
while riding or even just sitting on our lawn swing.

Old 06-18-2003, 02:40 AM
Trailblazer

I’ve been hunting coyotes for years. They are quite intelligent and are extremely adaptable. They can learn to live in close proximity to humans and unless they are shown their place i.e. given a fear of humans they can become incredibly bold. There was a story of a coyote that began to stalk a daycare center in the suburbs. He learned that if he appeared at lunchtime, the teachers would herd the kids inside leaving their lunches and snacks outside for easy pickings. Caused quite a problem. When the suburban sprawl gets closer to the wild areas coyotes quickly adapt to the new and tasty morsels like garbage and family pets. Nature ignorant suburbians often encourage such close interaction and coyotes can become a real problem. Not being hunted or shown that humans are a threat to them exacerbates the situation.

I’m an admirer of the truly wily coyote and find them a challenging animal to hunt. They also make neat set of house slippers/boots and their pelts look good on my wall.

The worst animal problem in my area is feral dogs. They are dumped by out in the country by the aforementioned suburbanites and town folk and become a menace to wildlife and livestock. They have the delusional idea that some farmer would love to have their cast off pets. We don’t – we kill them on sight. Not out of malice but out of compassion and necessity. Every year or two we have a good sized pack develop and they start killing stock and running down deer. One winter we caught a huge pack sleeping out of the wind in a ravine and managed to kill the entire pack (well over a dozen dogs – 18 if I remember correctly) before they could escape. It took a year or two but soon the numbers were back up and causing problems.

Old 06-18-2003, 03:46 AM
Pro Rider

Oh make no mistake about it I'll still kill the little b@stards if they get to thick and if I find a calf half eaten or something. Like you said it's a lot of stray dogs that form packs but really there not always strays some are pets that just ain't chained (like mine half the time) that someone doesn't pay enough attention to and they find other dogs and get together and kill calves and sometimes they'll run down a cow. I guess it's just pack instinct. I had an old beagle mix that was the sneakiest darn dog I ever seen my uncle came over one day and he for some reason hadn't never seen her at my house and he said is that your dog. I said yeah and he's like man that dog has led a pack of mutts for 5 years after my cows when they were calving. He said I've shot dozens of them over the years but he said I never could hit her and he said she just got sneakier. I couldn't hardly believe it because she was a small dog about
35 pounds.

Old 06-18-2003, 04:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Right now I'm having trouble with the rabbits. I can remember when you didn't see many rabbits around but that has changed. I have a fenced in yard so the rabbits feel free to roam. The rabbits have killed two young apple tree's, two rose bushes and now the tops of the sweet corn plants. My dogs chase them out of the yard and then the rabbits just come back in. First I blamed the woodchucks but it turned out to be the rabbits. I kinda wish the coyote's would thin out the rabbits around this little town. Or at least some of these fat worthless cats could get rid of a couple. Oh well.

Old 06-25-2003, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Both Ferel cats and wild dogs pose a serious threat to the natural balance. They are both intoduced species and can take a devistating toll on local wildlife, and are not dealt with by any kind of game laws or local control.
Coyote's can and do pose a danger to people and livestock if their numbers get to high, once that point is reached there's only one solution - they need to be thinned out either by professional's or by hunters. It's true that people move out to the country and are surprised when the local wildlife invade their space. urban sprawl is a serious problem, and untill the laws change and people take a more holistic approach to wildlife and nature as a whole hunting will be a valid and proper response to over population.

I'll get of my soapbox now, we're having issue's around here with all the new subdivision's going up and all the new ordinance's prohibiting hunting - they don't like coyote's, but they don't like hunters either.......

Old 06-27-2003, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

Possums will enter a box trap if they can see out the other side. Coyotes are usually too clever for that.

Old 07-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Coyotechaser

I agree, 'Chaser. Do you know how much fun it is to chase a skunk through an unplanted cornfield while giving your 5-year-old kid a ride? LOL

JC

Quick Reply: When Coyote's attack!!!