Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Plowing Deep Snow

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plowing Deep Snow

Hello, I'm thinking of getting a ATV for use as a snowplow for my driveway. My concern is, where I am in Canada it can snow 2 feet in 1 night which i don't think is a problem, but the snow banks at the end of the driveway after the town plows go by every morning are like 3-4 feet deep sometimes and I dont know if an ATV will be able to handle that. Or would I be better off with just a snowblower? Thanks for any input on this.

Old 08-04-2003, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also the machine that im looking at is a '97 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4x4, with a 60" blade. Is that too much blade for the machine? And is that enough power to push that much snow?

Old 08-04-2003, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Arctic cat 400i with a 60" blade and didn"t have any problem with the storms we had in NY last year.Some of them were over 2 feet.When you get those really big storms you can just lift up the blade a little and plow the top layer and then drop it down to finish it or take another layer off.What kind of lift(manual or winch)?

Old 08-05-2003, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

The plow is 60" wide has electric lift and a 5-way blade. The guy that's selling it is asking $700 canadian....anyone know if that's a good buy?

Old 08-05-2003, 10:51 AM
Range Rover

Sounds like a damned good buy, depends on condition though. If it is the heavy wet snow at 2ft. you could have a problem. But I manage here in north Wis. Sometimes it just takes longer; more passes with the old plow. REmember though that a 4-wheeler only weights so much. And sometimes that determins how mutch you can push.

Old 08-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a fantastic deal and like puttputt said you may have to make more passes.Good luck.

Old 08-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

Masamune XC:

Where are you from in Canada, I'm from northern New Brunswick...And yes, we get lots of the "White Gold" up here and I've pushed tons of it with my explorer 400 and 60" plow until I got the blower because of the Yard design.

I would say it depends on your driveway, how its made, its length, its slope, and where you can plow snow too....if its straight with a garage at the end or if its a "U" shaped, plowing could be difficult. Also, how much room do you have to bank the snow? Once you bank the snow, ...it PACKS...the next storm gets banked up to it because the packed bank is hard, and so on. After a while, your a few yards from where you started banking. If it slopes up hill from the road, after cars/trucks drive on it a while, it can get slippery, you might need chains...As for that bike, plow set-up, and price for the plow...no problem...

check out my set-up in "my gallery"... also check out the following thread, theres good info for you:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/350289.cfm

Hope this helps
Honcho...

Old 08-08-2003, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Im in Central Ontario, smack in the "snow belt" by Georgian Bay. I have a 100' driveway which slopes down towards the street, so I just plan on pushing the snow down hill into the road and off to the side then let the town push it away when they come buy. I just hope they that is allowed to be done.... I'll have to check on that.

Anyways there are a bunch of different (used) machines that I'm interested in. Theres a '97 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4x4, a '99 Wolverine 350 4x4, a '97 Honda Foreman 400 and a Polaris Explorer 400 4x4... not sure which machine is the best.

Thanks everyone for your input [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Range Rover

I know people that plowed snow with king quad's.IF i where you look at the big bear,foreman,or exlporer 400 they should get the job done.

Old 08-17-2003, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

you cantgo wrong with the big bear 350. These things just keep going and going. awesome for plowing snow and pulling anything. A great workhorse!

Quick Reply: Plowing Deep Snow