Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Smart Beavers

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 08:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Beavers

I don't know about ukc books. But they are on the web

http://www.ukcdogs.com/breeds/scenth...ncur.std.shtml

My dog is registered with the omcba

Old 02-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Smart Beavers

Thanks

Old 02-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Smart Beavers

I have trapped beavers many times for work. You could do it easily yourself and keep them out. I would use wire snares and spring-loaded lethal traps. Here are some tips: place a floating log in the water out a couple of feet in front of where the paths are that they come in/out of the water, use stakes on both sides of the log to keep it in place, then place stakes around the path and log to "corral" the beaver toward your log then place a trap under the log. When they swim under the log, then the trap will close on them. Use wire to tie and stakes to keep the beaver from swimming off with you trap. Always place your traps near paths that look like the beavers are using.

Hope this helps.

However they will probably continue to come back, trapping yourself will help you out.

Old 02-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer
Default Smart Beavers

is the log not much longer than the trap is wide?

Old 02-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Smart Beavers

The log should at least be 3 or 4 feet long. Also use a pretty thick log too - if it is too skinny the beaver will push it out of the way. Use four stakes to keep the log in place (use two at one end of the log on both sides and then two at the other end.) And make sure the height between the bottom of the log and the bottom of the pond is just a little higher than the height of your trap -that way they have to swim through the trap.

You can look for their lodge - most times it is a pile of sticks on the opposite end of your dam. Put your traps around that too. If they have not built a lodge - then they are probably tunneled up in your dam. Get your waders on and look for holes in the dam - put traps there with the log setup.

I will try to draw a picture of the trap setup that might help you and post it later.

Hope that made sense.

Old 02-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default Smart Beavers

I think I understand what you have described. I can not tell where the lodge is, but I have seen some skinned off willow limbs and small mudpiles(castor mounds) at the end of the pond farthest from the dam. They must have dug into the bank there somewhere. We have lots of small willows growing, that seems to be their favorite. This is a large pond, about 200 yds long.

Old 02-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Smart Beavers

They are most certainly burrowing into your dam - go to the co-op and get a couple of traps and look for were they are burrowing into it.

I meant to ask you - is there a creek or stream flowing into your pond? If not is one close by? They could be swimming into your pond from a nearby lodge.

If so you’re probably going to need continual trapping. They come in off the creeks and streams. What they like to do is find a good spot of their own. So when you kill out one family unit of beavers (they usually travel in groups of four or so) another beaver will try to come in and take over what they think is an uninhabited spot.

Don't get to frustrated with your attempts at trapping them. They are really smart - sometimes when I go out to check even my best setup traps I find that the beavers have tore down my stakes and put all the stakes, the log and my tripped trap into one of their construction projects. Make sure you tie wire to your traps securely because they will carry it off.

But that log setup has worked well for me over the years.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Smart Beavers

i hired a friend to do some welding for me at work , he is a part time trapper and related this story to me. one of his trapper friends got two baby beavers , i didn't question how he got them as it is illegal. anyway they put the beaver in the bath tub to swim. the beaver love to play and swim and when someone pulls the plug they gather up the kids toys, rubber ducks ,boats etc. and try to dam up the flow, now these are baby beaver that have never seen a dam let alone tried to build one.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer
Default Smart Beavers

There is not a creek or stream running into the pond. There are 2 ponds in series, the upper has a dam with 12" pipe that emptys into the big pond just below it. The creek beds do not have water in them unless it is raining. There is an old lodge under some rocks on the side of the pond that they have always used before. They may be in there. From what I have read the castor mounds are the end of their territory, is that true? I wish i could tell more where their movements are this time.

They usually stay out of the pond for about 6-8 months until they come back again.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Smart Beavers

The castor mounds a generally markers to mark their territory, but they will go out past them and try to expand there territory.

More than likely they came down/up the dry creek bed during the rain. But I have seen them out in the woods moving by foot to get to a water spot. Since your ponds sound like they are kind of isolated once you get rid of these beavers you may need to only keep a constant check for activity. Most times I can come to a pond and smell whether or not they are around because of their strong scent glands and their musky smell.

Shooting them works too but they will wait until nightfall to come out pretty quick after you shoot one or two. (Plus the fact that after you shoot them they generally sink to the bottom for a day or so and it is hard to get that dead sucker out)

Quick Reply: Smart Beavers