Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

_Mushroom Hunting_

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 02:43 PM
TIC
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default _Mushroom Hunting_

We have many many areas just full of morrels where I live, right on the river and even up in the bluffs. I have enjoyed them for years, nothing better than fried catfish or carp and a then a batch of mushrooms.!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I ever ask mushroom hunters to do is use a bag like an old onion bag to hunt mushrooms with, this allows seeds and such to fall off the mushrooms as you cary them through the woods thus helping the chain stay alive. when you use a plastic bag they can not fall and keep the ground or area fertile.

this was taught to me bye my father, it may be a crock but non the less I have always done it.

I use pancake batter on my mushrooms!!!!!!! its easy and real good

Old 02-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

WE CALL THEM "MOLLY MOOCHERS"...DON'T ASK ME WHY.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2004, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Love to hunt those morels! Kinda like finding gold in the woods for me. I sometimes have problems with people sneaking onto my property to steal them but with enhanced trespassing penalties and the overall laziness of people these days it isn’t as much of a problem as it use to be. Nothing is more infuriating as a carload of people swarming over your property stealing your shrooms or other forest edibles.

I just go for the morel varieties. I know there are some other edible varieties but I’ve never been quite comfortable eating them. Some further education on my part would be in order before I eat anything but my familiar morels. One nice thing about the coming spring is all of the good eats I can gather from the woods. Shrooms, wild strawberries, raspberries, black berries, asparagus, nuts, pears, apples and the like in the late summer in the fall. Better than any junk you get from the store.

Old 03-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Range Rover

The first morel of the year was found in California last tuesday, i dont think they will be poping up here in ohio any time soon because it snowed yesterday!
Will they be poping up the whole month of april or just a week?

Old 03-19-2004, 05:57 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

The Ohio season is probably about the same as the season here in MD, probably mid April at the earliest. Once they start you can expect to find them in a 3 to 4 week window. If you have any dogwood trees in the area keep an eye on them. I’ve heard when the budding leaf of a dogwood tree is about the size of a mouse’s ear then it’s time to start looking for morels…

Old 03-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Here in Minnesota, it's when the lilacs are booming...

Old 03-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found a nice heavy mesh shotgun shell bag on closeout at wally world that I am planning on using this year. It has a spring steel gizmo to hold the top open or closed and a belt clip. I usually use gallon ziplocs since onion sacks or plastic grocery bags won't last long in the briars. Happy Hunting! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2004, 01:47 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

It's scrambled eggs and mushrooms tomorrow morning! Made my first find today, found several early birds peeking out (black morels). I'd say in another week or possibly even a few more days (especially with temps in the 80s this weekend) they should be coming out in earnest...

Old 04-18-2004, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found about 3/4 gallon today, some were a tad dry having been up a while but found several fresh ones. It is very dry here but rain is in the forecast so next weekend should be pretty good. Just cooked up two skillets worth, hope I can save a few for breakfast, happy shroomin! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2004, 07:45 AM
Pro Rider

yep... been REALLY dry here lately... but got rain the last 2 days... we usually see em about the time the lilacs are blooming 1-2 weeks out, yet... if the rains continue, should be a shroomy spring... yum yum...