Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

pulling stumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling stumps

what about a small backhoe???? lets say on a kubota bx22 or 23???

Old 03-22-2004, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default pulling stumps

Backhoe works! If it's big enough, it will allow you to dig the smaller roots around the main trunk and then you can get a hold of the 4-6' foot tall trunk and leverage it out.

Old 03-22-2004, 02:22 PM
2TV
Pro Rider
Default pulling stumps

I used my BX22 to dig up the septic tank at the farm which had not been serviced in about 35 years. There were a few trees (up to 6 inches in diameter) that were too close and in the way and needed to be pulled out (the roots probably would have eventually caused a problem with the tank itself). I used the backhoe of the BX22 to expose a few roots, some of the smaller ones I was able to break with it. The larger ones I had to chop with an ax once they were exposed (some of the roots were from even larger trees that were nearby that are still standing but I'll be taking down soon). After the major roots were cut I pulled the trees out with my old Ford 3000 tractor (a 40 hp 3 cyl diesel that is substantially bigger / heavier than the Kubota BX22). The tires were rather worn on the tractor so traction isn’t the best, hence the large roots needed to be severed before attempting to pull out the tree. The trees that were tall enough to reach the tractor when pulled over were cut so they didn’t swat the driver when they fell. This procedure was OK for the few trees that I had, but would be tedious work if there were a lot of them…

Old 03-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default pulling stumps

A method for getting rid of stumps, if your not in a rush, that has always worked for us:

Cut the tree down in the spring or early summer leaving a very short stump, drill an inch and a half hole down the center of the stump at least 12" deep. Fill this hole nearly full with potassium nitrate and plug it with a wood plug. Wait till the next spring and dig around the stump to create a fire pit with the stump in the center. Build a fire and the stump will burn out including nearly all of the roots. Don't use this method where you can spread the fire to unwanted area thru the trees root system. I have seen roots as small as 1" **** out. Fire will sometimes take several days to burn completly out.

Mike N

Old 04-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default pulling stumps

msm,
I grew up in the northern Minnesota popple woods. Popple isn't the toughest wood, but you quad is going to be no match for them. We had a little D2 cat on our spread. That was not enough machine to push larger popple stumps out of the ground. It would uproot smaller (4"-6" stuff), but nothing bigger. If it was me, I'd leave the stumps about 4 feet high so that I could see where they were and plant around them. You have a quad, so if you go with a quad based planter, you should be able to manuver around the stumps to plant your food plot. Popple stumps will rot out fairly quickly and when they do, you can plant where ever you want.

Good luck

Bill the Dog

Old 04-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default pulling stumps

thanks

Old 04-04-2004, 01:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default pulling stumps

this is the easy way cut tree 2 feet above ground
place 4 or 5 tires on stump and set on fire.caint get
no easyer

Old 04-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default pulling stumps

Funny you should ask, I am in the process of clearing about 50 stumps myself... I went down to my local rental shop with the intention of renting a bobcat for a couple of days. He quickly showed me two possible machines. One a small bobcat with tank treads, and the other a mini excavator, much like a large back hoe, but on tracks, with a claw attachment that could lift 2000 lb logs with ease... Much easier and quicker to use. If you dont have to move a lot of dirt awound, that is the way to go. I want to bring in a bunch of rock at the same time, so it looks like I will get both for two days.. The excavator will cost me about $500 for two days, the bob cat is around $400.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default pulling stumps

Try digging out the side you intend to pull from. This will lighten the "hold" and possible allow you to pull the stump free.

Old 04-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default pulling stumps

I don't know about you young guys.. but I am way too old to be wasting my time with a shovel. As Tim Allen used to say, get a bigger shovel. I can do more work with an excavator in an hour than I could do in a week by hand. Course I could do a lot more damage, and I tend to have accidents more often as I get older...Probably end up with 50 big holes in my back yard, and the Mrs. yelling at me... Ah the wonder of hearing aids is you can turn them off.... and smile like you are in a world of your own.... but that excavator will be a blast to play with....and the bobcat is nothing more than a toy tank... everyone should have one in their garage....

Quick Reply: pulling stumps