Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Anyone own a DR* Brushcutter/Mower?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone own a DR* Brushcutter/Mower?

They have 5 models out now. A 7hp, 11hp, 13hp, and the 15 and 17hp which have Kawasaki twins in them for engines. If you own one how do you like it? They look like they are built well.

Old 04-18-2004, 03:06 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

I have a 14 HP model with the Kawasaki engine. At the time it was the largest engine available in the DR. I think it’s about 5 years old (can’t remember for sure what year I bought it). It is an excellent machine and will pretty much cut up anything it can push over. I’ve cut locust saplings that were nearly 2” in diameter with it, and lots of wild rose. It will pretty much do anything a PTO operated brush mower will that you use with a farm tractor (it just won’t do as much at a time or do it as fast).

It is great for areas that are overgrown with weeds and tree saplings. It’s not so great though if you have rocks hidden in what you are cutting as if you can’t see them the first thing that is going to hit the rock is most likely the blade. I also have a string trimmer attachment for it (you take the blade off and mount this attachment in it’s place). It uses two really thick nylon strings in precut lengths. This attachment works great for clearing grassy material and you don’t have to worry about rocks. It will not cut anything with a woody stem though.

The current models have been redesigned to allow you to quickly change attachments (for instance you could remove the brush cutting deck & install a finish cut deck, or even a snow blower in short order). Someday I’d like to get a new one (I’d go for the 17 hp model, it also has a wider cutting path than the others do, and I’d get the snow blower attachment to go along with it)…

Old 04-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

I have the an older DR brush cutter and a DR trimmer mower with the beaver blade. They work great !! We use them all the time to keep our trails in the woods open and make new ones.