Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

favorite gun to carry on your wheeler

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2000, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Texas but also get the chance to hunt in Mississippi quite often. Last year I remember reading about a 17-year-old that was killed by his friend as he was getting off the back of a ATV. The boy who was killed was sitting on another ATV that had stopped along side. All four had known each other through high school.

Something to think about the next time you decide to ride around playing Rambo with a loaded gun.

But then, you're probably too smart to accidently shoot someone.

Ride safe!

Old 07-27-2000, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

Springdrl
Everybody know that if a gun is carried properly as in no round in the chamber, safety on and so forth. It can be carried safely.
As far as the Rambo remark goes I'll not stoop to your level to comment on that.

Ride Safe !
Shoot Safe !!

Old 07-28-2000, 08:42 AM
Trailblazer

that's very sad that those boy's had that happen to them. in my state it is illegal to have any bullet's in your gun while your in or on any motor vehicle and i follow that law word for word, i also hunt alone . as far as calling any of these spotsman's rambo without knowing any of us is unfair.
99 grizzly

Old 07-28-2000, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

Springdrl sence you brought it up,I have a BMG 50
cal on tripod mounted in the back of my 6x6.I also
like to carry my crossbow with exploding arrows.
Nothings safe now He He.

TRUCK

Old 07-28-2000, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

Since the legal thing has come up again, what's the best way to find out the laws on this or any other ATV issue. We always hear "be sure you know the laws governing xyz," but where do you find them? I suspect they are on the internet but its pretty hard to weed through a maze of legal stuff.

Old 07-28-2000, 10:13 AM
Range Rover

I really good place to start is the NRA website. www.nra.org

On the NRA website they have links to all the firearm laws in every state. You can read them top to bottom.

Your states hunting regulations should have all laws pertaining to transportation of firearms and use of firearms written in it. The regulation book should tell you when it is legal to carry an uncased loaded firearm.

Another good way to get the regulations is to call your local Dept. of Natural Resources or Division of Wildlife and request a copy of the firearm regulations.

Fianlly, you can also request to speak to a Consevation Officer. The C.O. will be able to answer any questions you may have.

Keep in mind that in most states an uncased bow is treated the same way as an uncased firearm.

On a side note their is no replacement for safety. Always remember that the vast majority of accidents involving firearms could have been prevented. Be safe and be smart. Just because something is legal does not mean it is smart or safe. The choices we as sportsmen make will decide our fate. Only 9% of the U.S. population hunts. Only 10% of the U.S. population is against hunting. That leaves 81% of the country unaccounted for. The actions and images that we as sportsmen project will influence that 81%. Our votes are cancelled out by the anti-hunters. We need to make sure that we can rely on the votes of the silent majority to maintain our rights and priveledges. Be safe, be smart and have fun.

Thanks for your patience, I will step off of my soap box now...;-)

Old 07-28-2000, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, that was good. Are there similar sites that collect and display laws about ATVs, off-road vehicles, and the like?

Where I ride, we all use ATVs on the valley road as local transportation. Of course we shouldn't, but it’s a 20-mile dirt road maintained by the township with very sparse population and (as the old excuse goes) everyone does it. Also, the only time you see a police car is the day after the semi-annual vandalism spree. But I wonder how much trouble we’d be in if a cop stopped us. What are the penalties, can they seize your machine, etc? Appreciate your info.

Old 07-28-2000, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

Interesting how the discussion veered from the beginning subject theme. However, the issue of firearms in most any topic will usually bring up safety concerns.

As a firearms collector, my viewpoint may be biased. I honesty believe that teaching our youth about gun safety and providing them will correct information is foremost. Being a son of an avid hunter, I've been around firearms all my life. I knew to avoid them as a child and was properly educated on how to handle them when I became of age. Now in my 30's, I plan to do the same with my children someday.

As for carry guns on a ATV, I prefer any small framed pistol, (partial to H&K myself), carried conceiled. This is with the understanding that your state issues carry permits and you have one.

I feel rifle mounts are bulky and can lead to negative confrontations with others. Unless the rifle is required for a specific requirement, ie: Hunting, varmit control, a conceiled firearm is safer and a better choice for protection.

Just my viewpoints. Be safe, play smart, and god bless.

Old 07-28-2000, 12:06 PM
Range Rover

I would suggest that you know your local laws word for word. Illegal transportation or use of a firearm can have penalties anywhere from fines to seizure. If an animal has been harvested illegally law enforcement under extreme circumstances can seize your firearm, 4-wheeler, truck, property and anyhting else that was used in conjunction with the offense. Again this is under extreme circumstances but the point remains.

It would be worth your time and effort to find out what is legal and illegal in your area and to follow the laws to the letter. Maybe the law enforcement in your area has become lax on what laws they enforce and when.

Maybe "everybody"does it. But someday somebody will be caught and I hope it is not you!! I am very involved with Firearm safety training classes and Hunter education classes in Minnesota. Participating in these classes a fella gets to know many Conservation Officers. The general consensus is that most of the tickets they right and arrests thay make are of normal everyday people who "did not know there was a law against that". Ignorance is not an excuse in th eeyes of the law.

Sorry to preach. I love my outdoors and I love hunting, I have real fears that in my lifetime the rights and priveledges I have grown up with will be taken awy from me. As sportsmen we need to do everything we can to maintain our heritage. Best wishes folks, see you in the sticks...................

Old 07-28-2000, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

Don't disagree with you. Given that our cabin sits on the most highly stocked trout stream in PA and, because of favorable access roads, is a key spot for the release of fish. Also, with deer and turkey populations that are very strong, we attract a large number of outsiders in the spring and fall. So I have no problem with the enforcement of game laws -- I don't want to appear as a scoff-law, just let me run to the store on my ATV.

Quick Reply: favorite gun to carry on your wheeler