Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Black bear took down parents bird feeders

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black bear took down parents bird feeders

I guess the bear aren't concerned enough to stand up. It seems like they usually just sit down or run.
The one that was standing last year had some cubs with her. There were also a couple other big bear on the field. She stood up and then the cubs stood up and then she sent her cubs up a couple trees. I think the most I've seen at one time is 6 bear on a corn field. (after cutting)

Old 05-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My neighbor said that he saw the bear in my picture after I had left. He said that the bear stood up while he was watching it. I guess I just missed it that time. (He saw it after it crossed a creek and field.)

Old 05-24-2004, 04:33 PM
ox
Pro Rider

Saw this little guy comming up a plowed bush road in N Ontario a cpl yrs ago. Crouched down behind the sleds and got the camera ready.

I got a pic of a coyote at Wolf Creek Pass Col. too same yr, but I guess I don't have that one scanned.

Old 05-25-2004, 01:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I was walking along a corn field last year and a fox ran out in front of me. The fox didn't even see me there while it walked on the road. I'm always concerned about rabies so I gave it some room. Once it was a bit ahead of me I made some noise and it ran away. Half the time, I have a camera with me and I don't even think about using it.

Old 05-25-2004, 01:08 PM
ox
Pro Rider

BTW, the standing bear pic is not mine. Just one I pirated off the net last yr. The rest are mine.

----

A few yrs ago me and a chumm were riding north of Timmins, Ontario. My chumm was following me and just aboot T-boned a bear. Bear decided to cross the trail between us. ??? He said that he didn't know whether to speed up and hit it hard or try to stop. I asked him how big it was? He said - Who knows, they are all big when they are THAT close! LOL! (It was time for a smoke break after that. LOLOLOLOLOL!)

Old 05-26-2004, 12:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I see. I thought it was your picture. At least your honest.

I just got my game camera out of the woods. I have a feeling there won't be any bear pictures on this roll. Probably more squirrels.

Old 05-26-2004, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

the best answer is a lead injection LOL

Old 05-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

There was an article in yesterdays paper about a guy out for a walk up by his house on hillside and he got charged by a brown bear. He draws his weapon(.40 Smith) and fires a round at it and it turns tail and runs back up into the brush. He calls the cops and reports it and about shooting at it and since they are not sure if he hit it they go looking for it, same spot and again it comes flying out of the brush. Two officers, one with a 12 gauge and another with a .45 empty their weapons killing it. While the local charity were skinning it they discovered it was a female and she was lactating so they go looking for the cubs. There was 2 of them but they were not able to capture them and are on the lookout for them.

Turns out she had a dead moose calf buried there and it was just off the corner of a neighbors backyard by the sandbox his kids play in, this situation could of turned out much worse had the kids been playing outside on that day rather then a guy out for a hike who was smart enough to carry his weapon even inside city limits. The shooting was ruled justified and no charges were issued. Sadly the bear had to die but if I was him I would have done the same and I too usually carry .40 Smith but now that it is spring I go back to carrying a .41 or a .44 Mag.

AlaskaBoy.

Old 05-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Alaskaboy, It is sad the bear had to die, But in that case there probably wasn't any other choice. These things can happen when people move in where bears live. Unfortunately many people will blame the bear for this incident when the bear did nothing wrong and payed the ultimate price. The other sad story is is that the 2 cubs don't have a very good chance of surviving either. I know things like this happen and we have to protect ourselves it is just sad to see or hear stories like this.

Quick Reply: Black bear took down parents bird feeders