Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Swisher mowers

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swisher mowers

I am looking into buying a finish cut mower to pull behind my ATV to mow my lawn with. 2+ acres.
I was wondering what other people have used and what they have been happy with. I am currently looking
at the Swisher 44'' mower. Would love to hear people's experiences with these types of mowers.
Thanks

Old 06-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default Swisher mowers

I dont have the finish cut mower but do have the 44" rough cut. By using really sharp blades and keeping the speed down to around 3 MPH I can do a decent, not great, job of mowing the lawn areas with the rough cut. I am not able to get that really "groomed" look because about 3" is as low as I can cut without getting scalped off spots. I understand the finish cut is built on the same frame but has two blades under the deck. So far we have been very happy with the Swisher equipment and support from the company. We have been considering buying a finish cut but will probably get the 60" model. The major drawback to using the quad and tow behind mower rather than the lawn tractor is manuverability. When mowing the yard areas I am unable to get into a lot of the tight spots the lawn tractor can manuver in. Mowing the "weed lots" and lawn area is a lot more comfortable with the quad, the ride is much more comfortable than the lawn tractor, and doing the sidehills is more comfortable because the quad seems way less "tippy".

I would suggest you opt for one of the larger motors with the electric start.

I believe it was on this forum where there was a thread on the finish cut mowers a couple of months ago, you might try a search.

Old 06-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Swisher mowers

I read a artical where a guy took a 60" swisher and made it a front mower and is really happy with it now.

Old 06-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Swisher mowers

Well I ordered the 44" Swisher finish cut mower yesterday. I upgraded to the Honda 11Hp motor and I will let everyone know how I like
it when I finally get it. I ordered it from Northern Tool for $980. Seems like a good deal. We will see. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-22-2004, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Swisher mowers

Northern Tool. Where would we be without them? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I don't know how much money I blown with them over the years. I've also been known to drop a little cash at Harbor Freight when I need something cheap but not especially well made. Hard to beat that free shipping. I would warn you to stay away from their 500,000 and 1 million candlepower rechargeable spotlights. I've bought a couple of each and they all broke after the first charge. One even caught fire.

I was checking out my Northern Tool catalog tonight and was trying to decide on which to get first for my new ATV this fall, the Swisher plow or the dump bucket. That dump bucket looks to be quite useful for moving around dirt and gravel and maybe even digging out the mound of snow the county plow leaves at the lane entrance. I'm not sure how the plow will deal with a big mound of somewhat frozen snow. Can a person just crash through the big berms of snow the snowplows leave in your driveway with your ATV plow? I'll slap a set of chains on my ATV, lock the front axle, give her hell and fine out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] During a big snow in my area the snow berms can be several feet deep at times and can get really big if the plow driver catches a big drift at the right time and shoves in in your driveway.

Old 06-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Swisher mowers

I have a friend who has that Swisher mower that you bought, and the only thing he hates about is the very small fuel tank it has.. It does cut well but will leave some grass behind.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2004, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default Swisher mowers

I have the 60" swisher finish mower. Like Tencubed siad above its hard to mow in tight places, but if you have a large yard like i do (5 acres) then this is the route you want to take. I mow at 5-6 mph. What used to take me 6 hours on a riding mower now takes me 2.5 hours to mow. On this model , if you want to pull it with a riding mower you can offset the swisher and mow up to 102" at once. I have never done this, cant figure out how i can turn and not leave a large swipe. I see you purchased the 44" . It will work great. Just keep good belts and sharp blades on it and you will have your yard looking great[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Trailride

Old 06-25-2004, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Swisher mowers

I have the 44" - bought it at Tractor Supply for $850. It works okay, but it's rear discharge so if the grass has any height at all to it, you leave clippings behind. Also, it doesn't have much ground clearance. That's okay if you mow near where you store the mower, but if you have to drag the mower up a trail, you tend to scrape bottom a lot.

One nice thing about the 44" - it's very hard to ground out. Because the blades are right in line with the axle and wheels, if the wheels clear it the blades also do. I have a couple of sharp dips in my yard where the big riding mower grounds out if you don't raise the deck - the swisher breezes right over these.

Old 06-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default Swisher mowers

Anybody found a good aftermarket source for blades for the Rough Cut mowers? Kind of spendy anywhere I have seen them. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2004, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Swisher mowers

Anyone have one of the Swisher TRAILcutters? The finish or roughcut mower type would be nice for the yard itself but I can see the heavier trailcutter being much more useful to me. At the moment anyway. I can deal with a scraggly cut on the lawn as long as I can do heavier duty brush work with it.

Quick Reply: Swisher mowers