Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Any bowhunters...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any bowhunters...

I've been shopping and buying all that I need for another successful bow season. Our season starts on 9/15 and I already have the entire week off. I've been scouting almost every evening and the weekend mornings and I am very pleased at what I am seeing. So far I have seen 4 mature bucks, 9 or 10 pointer that would score close to the 160's, and I have seen more does then I can count. Good luck to the rest of you.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider

In fact I just shot my bow yesterday for the 1st time in a while. I had forgotten how much fun it was. Now that the seasons coming up shortly, it's time to get out there every other day.

Old 08-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

this is my 40th year bowhunting.

i carried the same bow for over 20 years before it finally broke.

i tried a compound bow for a year, but never fell in love with it, so i went back to recurves.

this will be my 9th year with a custom recurve that my wife bought me as an anniversary gift.

it just gets better every year.

Old 08-25-2004, 09:19 AM
CWG
Pro Rider

I think I put 350 hours or so in last season. Love it.
go to archerytalk.com
Great site, only been bow hunting for a year or so, but used a crossbow for several years prior to that, it just didnt "do it" like using a compound bow does.
I'm CWG over there too...go figure

Old 08-25-2004, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a PSE pro series Avenger. It was $800 but I bought it a year later becaues the dealer had leftovers for $300. So I got a good deal. My dad has a Mathews solocam. Whata bow. Its so fast and quiet. Anyways, this year I plan on tagging my first buck. Ive shot a few does with my rifle but im ready for fling an arrow, not lead.

Old 08-29-2004, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

Bear hunting starts here on Wednesday. Bait been cleaned out everyday. Live for the fall.

Old 08-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Hey MnCat, Where are you hunting at ?? I will be in the woods Wed. as well and all our bait stations have been hitting well also. A few of them are pretty large bears by the size of the tracks with a couple being wider than 5 1/2 inches meaning maybe 400 + lbs.

Old 08-30-2004, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

We will be in area 12. How about you? Gotta admit, nothing better then sitting at dusk and having a big bear come into your bait. I'll take it over deer hunting anytime.

Old 08-31-2004, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

I am in area 51 near Mcgregor and Tamarack. We usually do really well and over the past 4 years we have almost always filled between 6 and 8 tags. Last year the only reason I didn't get a bear is because I was after the big one and was willing to go home empty handed if I didn't get a crack at him. He outsmarted me. We did shoot 4 bears off of one station with the largest being 320 dressed. Two years ago my brothr shot one the was 7 feet from nose to tail and we tried to weigh it with a 300lb scale. It pulled the bottom out of the scale so we took it in and it was between 400 and 425 lbs, But I don't remember exactly. The skull made it into the Minnesota record book, But fell just short of Boone and crocket. If I new how to put photo's on here I would scan one.

Old 09-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

I have been bowhunting every year for the past 14 years. My dad bought me a pse when I was 13. I didn't actually kill a deer with a bow until I was 16. Lots of close calls and learning experiences were made through the years and I've taken my fair share of Does and Bucks. Nothing large enough to post as of yet. I usually take the first doe I can and then Buck hunt after that. Season opens in 14 days here and I'am just as excited now as I was when I was younger. "I live for this"!!! Good luck to all and be carefull. Always use a safety strap!!