Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Any bowhunters...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any bowhunters...

I am in Wisconsin as well, and am waiting for 9/18! I have been hunting since I was 12 and Bowhunting since 13-14 off and on. Last couple of years the bowhunting bug has really hit. I am 27 now and am more into bow hunting than gun hunting. I will have fall Turkey tag to fill this year as well. My Wolverine is not set up for hunting yet, but our land does not have any trails on them yet either. If I get my deer early enough I might start clearing some paths for the machine since the deer will start using them too. I do plan an Atv bowhunting trip for October up near Stanley with a good friend of mine. That ought to be GREAT!

Old 09-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I use a bow up here in New Brunswick Canada...I have been procrastinating this year I need to get out and get all the preseason work started for the up coming season.....How far do you guys normally park your wheeler from your blind / stand..? How earlier do you need to get into position with your wheeler before you expect your game to show. I have never used my wheeler for bow season. I normally either walk in or park my truck on a logging road o few km away and then walk...I would not feel to safe leaving my wheeler out of my sight in the woods.....I could cam it up and leave it 200 - 300 Meters away but would the smell spook the deer ?

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Thanks
PINKMOON

Old 09-03-2004, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cammoman
I usually get two or three archery tags a year, and love every minute of it. I also try to shoot as many
3-D tournaments as my wife will let me. Check my pics!
Nice deer. I shoot alot of 3d tournaments also. I just recently bought a new High Country Tssr. Very light and acurate shooting bow. I was going to get a Diamond but changed my mind after i felt the Tssr. Bow seasons opens tommorow here. Hopefully it won't be to hot.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Range Rover

Pinkmoon, I'm with you on the atv exhaust smell. After I ride for a short time I can smell it on my clothes, I wouldn't ride with my hunting clothes on or to the tree stand. I walk a ways to my stands but it's paid off in the past.It might work for the younger deer but a mature deer or elk would avoid it. They have a very keen sense of smell.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

CAMMOMAN I hear ya...I think they would immediately go on high alert if they could smell or see an atv ( even all cammed up ) within a half mile of their territory .

Old 09-04-2004, 08:55 AM
CWG
Pro Rider

I've seen deer FREAK when they hear an ATV.
Tractors and trains...barely look up.
I've watched tons and tons of does and small bucks react to all three.
ATV's really spook the deer- I guess too many kids run them if they see them.
Go stealth exhaust if you're using an ATV to hunt from. the 200 for the exhaust is a better choice than tires!

Old 09-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer

Its great to see other missouri bowhunters in here. don't know about you guys but I mainly hunt northern saint charles co. , pike co. and callaway co, aaah callaway nothing like big radio active deer. what does everyone shoot....I have a mathews SQ2 and a legacy

Old 09-04-2004, 09:50 AM
CWG
Pro Rider

Bowtek Patriot, Gold tip's with feathers. TrophyTaker rest, Impact Collector site.
I took a couple of turkeys this spring with it. Deer is fun, but turkey is exciting. (see sig)
Just put new strings and cables on it, tweaking for season here in a month.
www.archerytalk.com GREAT archery website

Old 09-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Buddy and I practiced yesterday can't wait to October here in Texas!

Old 09-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

Try out this deer that I took with a bow from a treestand. Sorry for the picture quality and for the blood. Only had a camera phone that day. I also agree that scent is a big player in hunting animals. That is why I keep away from ATV's when I am hunting at home, but understandable in places like Colorado where you would have to ride 20 miles to get to a base camp. They are great for retrieving animals though.