Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Washing Camo in Baking Soda?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing Camo in Baking Soda?

A friend of mine said washing your hunting clothing in baking soda and water will help neutralize scent. Is this a fact? I don't really want to go out and buy Scent Killer detergent or anything like that, but I would like to wash my camo in something besides Tide for bow season next week!

Old 09-24-2004, 06:13 AM
Quad Patrol

Yes, it does neutralize your odor. It also helps retain the color in the camoflauge. Also use armor hammer deodorant too. Good luck this season[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

I think you would be better off with some of that carbon scent killer stuff. Remember, it's not just your clothes, it's your hair, your skin, your breath, deer can smell all that stuff. Sometimes you're just going to get busted no matter what you do.

Old 09-24-2004, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

I have carbon blast that I spray pretty much all over me and my gear before I go out, but I still wanted to know about washing my clothes. Thank you for both posts, especially yours rescuediver. If you're going out this season, best of luck to you as well.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard that baking soda will make your clothes stand out if you wash them in baking soda. Kind of like the pics you see where the guys camo is glowing blue. Make the investment in the detergent and scent killing products from your local sporting goods store.

I've used the carbon blast, but don't care for the black splatter on the clothes. I personally recommend anything from Hunter Specialties.

Old 09-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer

I bought one Scent Lok suit, the one that goes under the clothes, and I keep all my camo clothes in a plastic tub container. The suit takes smells out of my camos and keeps them scent free. I usually only have to wash my camos twice a season, but the scent lok suit reactivates in a dryer quick. I know that the suit is a little expensive, but it has lasted me for 3 years so far, and I noticed a huge difference. I have had deer walk under me and not know if I was there. I probably look like a tree, 6'11", but I have passed up many deer waiting for the big one to come up. I have only seen him a couple of times at 80 yards, but I know that he doesn't smell me. I also use Ivory soap, it is one of the few soaps that has no scent.

Old 09-28-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Can anyone suggest to me how much baking soda to put in the load for a heavy winter coat, a lighter long-sleeve shirt and a pair of pants? Smallest amount of water, I know, but how much baking soda to match?

Old 09-28-2004, 01:49 AM
Quad Patrol

RedGoblin, Thanks, unfortunately, I won't be out this season, myself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]Will be guiding my brother though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
When I wash mine, I use about a tablespoon or so. I would make sure you use enough water to make sure it doesn't clump up. Best way to do it, is to let the water fill the tub, while adding the powder. Then, add your clothes.
When I shower, I use everything that doesn't have a scent to it. I have had luck with my scent lock and without it. When going in the field, just do your best to eliminate the odors around you. It doesn't do you much good to do all this, but then have a onion omelot for breakfast[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Not saying you would.
Good Luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2004, 10:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Also another good way, is just make sure you are down wind from the animals you plan to shoot(that is if you hunt like us....we post and have walkers run the deer(if there are any) to us....or that is how is should work.....lol.....) I might try the baking soda thing too.....sounds interesting......

Old 10-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

I use the little blue berry looking things that hang on cedar trees. They are potent little suckers, and you smell just like the cedar. All I do is smash them on my clothes on the way to my stand. I have made a spray with these things too. I boiled a little water and the berry looking things, with some cedar limbs, and poured it into a spray bottle, works great if you have cedar tree's in your hunting habbitat. It's cheap. I also use scent killing items from hunters specialties for washing my clothes. I use scent lok when I cant get down wind...

Quick Reply: Washing Camo in Baking Soda?