Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Split Limb vs. Solid Limb

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Split Limb vs. Solid Limb

I read in an interview with Mathew McPhearson (Mathews bows) where he said that he refuses to use a split limb design because it was impossible to match the limb pairs.....he went on to say even if they could be perfectly matched to begin with, over time their characteristics would change at a different rate and there would be an imbalance. The result is an ever-so-slight to a noticable bias due to assymetry. Having an engineering background, it makes sense to me.

Old 10-16-2004, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Starky
I would say that 95% of the people that shoot with a bow wouldn't know if their bow was out of tune even if it could whistle.
That statement explains the #1 reason the manufactures went with single cams. A 2 cam bow will shoot faster than a single cam or a cam and a half but you've got to know what you are doing to make them dance. If the cams are just a little out of time, the bow will not shoot well. Better string material helped but harness stretch still happens and if you don't know enough to stay on top of bow maintenance, you will not have a good shooting machine. It was easier for the bow makers to dumb down the bows than it was to educate the operators.

Old 10-17-2004, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

While it does sound like it makes sense, it's coming from Mathews. They sell strictly solid-limbs. Not exactly an unbiased point of view.

Old 10-18-2004, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

That's WHY Mathews only sells solid limbs!

Old 10-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, but I'm saying they are not going to compliment split-limbs simply because they don't sell any. Hoyt and Fred Bear are some of the most respectable names that pop into my mind that make split-limbs almost exclusively, so they can't be that horrible.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

I think there are some excellent split limb bows out there. I think Mathew McPhearson has just taken a position on sticking with solid limbs bows based on his knowledge of the mechanics of stress/strain and has woven that into his bow design. That doesn't mean other manufacturers design are poorly engineered - just a difference in design philosophy I guess.

Old 10-20-2004, 06:37 AM
Pro Rider

I shoot with some word class archers and a lot of them shoot a split limed bow. They shoot thousands of arrows. I think if split limb bows had a problem, they wouldn't use them. If I were home I could ask them and give you a more knowledgeable response. In the mean time, it would be safe to say that the average archer would have no problem with a split limb bow. I shoot a solid limb bow because I like the way it looks more than any reliability issues.

Old 10-22-2004, 11:14 AM
Trailblazer

Split limbs are some what less reliable than solid limbs due to the fact that they " a Pair" must perform the same way each time to give you a consistent shot pattern. The main problem w/ split limbs is that they are not as forgiving as solid limbs. However, as you point out, you don't have a lot of money to spend, but that doesn't mean you have to go with split limbs. You can get a solid limb bow for about the same money. And while we're at it, try and stay away from 2 cam bows. They are harder to tune and they must be syncronized or else you'll never shoot consistently with a dual cam bow. But, the most important factor is shooter comfort. If the bow fits you well, (draw length) and you pratice with it, you should'n'y have any problems.

Old 10-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

If I could somehow find a good Mathews for about $350 or less, possibly $400 if it looks good enough, used or new doesn't matter, I would be just as interested as a Hoyt or Reflex. It's just finding these used bows in good shape and good price around here.

Old 10-27-2004, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider

I was browsing an archery catalog the other day and WOW!! Things sure have changed since I got out of bow hunting about 15 years ago. I wouldn't know where to start nowadays. Back then everyone I knew shot the same Bear compounds with pulls of 40-60 pounds and used aluminum arrows and simple 2 or 3 blade broadheads.

Quick Reply: Split Limb vs. Solid Limb