Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

How to get rid of mean wild dog???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get rid of mean wild dog???

We get that problem out here in the country quite a bit. Mostly it is just strays wandering up to the house after their city owners dump them out in the sticks thinking that some kindly farmer would just be pleased as peach to have their four legged experiment in unselective breeding show up at his doorstep. In fact it has gotten so bad around here some years that a few farmers I know have actually dug a big lime filled hole out back in the fence line to dump dog carcasses in. A call to the sheriff and he comes out and kills them of more often than not the property owner shoot it himself. Once every few years we get a pretty good feral pack going that starts chasing and killing deer and stock. It becomes quite a challenge to track down and kill them.

I've actually had my dog die from anti-freeze poisoning. It wasn't exactly a painless death but neither is getting run over by traffic or slowly starving to death. Not that I condone such things but I've known people in town who have done that very thing to keep stray dogs and cats out of their garbage. After getting their trash ripped open and scattered down the street one to many times their attitude is "Hey, if their pets are so precious to them they shouldn't let them run loose and destroy other people's property." Frankly if it is on your property you should be able to do whatever you want to it. Feed it ice cream and fillet mignon or prestone boiled down to make a thin syrup. Bear in mind that in our present animal worshiping culture if the PETA/HUSA crowd catch you doing it they will string you up by the ********* and you will probably be charged with a felony. If you are in town the wiser course of action may be a call to the authorities and let them deal with it.

Old 10-30-2004, 03:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hi Cattleman, been awhile since I've yelled at ya!

I agree with most of these people on NOT using the Antifreeze. That takes DAYS to kill, and it is just not right.
I wish I could head up there with my bow and help with this prob. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Know anyone with a live trap?
You can try Cayenne pepper around the trash, dogs hate it

Old 10-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash
I agree with most of these people on NOT using the Antifreeze. That takes DAYS to kill, and it is just not right.
It's not humane, but it works and the dog doesnt die on your driveway like the broad head. If it's someone else's dog and you dont have a good place to put the dog you dont want it dying on your porch.

Just trying to help out. I realize its not the nicest solution, but its an idea. I havent had a problem with a neighbor's dog in quite a while, I've been lucky. I've had to shoot one of our dogs that was sick, and I've had to shoot on of our barn cats or two though.

Old 10-30-2004, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Antifreeze doenst kill dogs anymore, they changed something in it im not sure what.

Try getting a cage and put some raw steak in it and just trap the dog, then take it to the next town or the other side of town. killing it isnt right.

Old 10-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: FoxSpirits
Antifreeze doenst kill dogs anymore, they changed something in it im not sure what.

Try getting a cage and put some raw steak in it and just trap the dog, then take it to the next town or the other side of town. killing it isnt right.

Just for general information. Any "Ethylene glycol" based antifreeze is deadly which makes up about 85% of the antifreeze sold still.

Old 10-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They sell some "safe" anti freezes. Sierra and a few other brands. But most are still the same.

Old 10-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

maybe a .22 LR with the cci's the ones that are supper quite can't recall what they are called but I killed all the opposums I had outback with them and not one of my neighbors had a clue as to what was happening and living in town that is a feat and a half. Just a thought

Old 10-30-2004, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

antfreeze is NOT an option, call your animal control officer and have them take care of the situation, you pay your taxes reap the benefits.

Old 10-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

their right just call animal control , but it would be realy fun gettin it w/ that bow lol

Old 10-31-2004, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56

They sell some "safe" anti freezes. Sierra and a few other brands. But most are still the same.
ahhh thanks for the correction

Quick Reply: How to get rid of mean wild dog???