Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Anybody building an Ice house?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody building an Ice house?

me and my dad just started a ice house. six and a half feet wide and twelve feet long. Retractable wheels. It's turning out nice, we have the floor done and the walls and roof framed, windows are in, ready for insulating the walls and exterior steel sheeting. If you have one share your opinion (likes, dislikes, things you wish you would've done) we are not sure where we are going to put the bunks though. We want it to sleep 4 guys, we kind of have an Idea but any new ideas are welcome.

Old 11-07-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

bump

Old 11-07-2004, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

Too soon to think about it, we're in hunting mode now. Ask again in 2 weeks.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

should post some pictures on the ice shack. sounds great so far . if you have a empty wall try some fold up beds on hindges. ply wood cut 2 x 6 and hinged together and hindged to wall should work. outer end and center supported on chains, bottom bunk on fold up legs.

Old 11-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

I've never seen an Icehouse and wouldn't know what one was if I hadn't seen that movie with all those old men in it fishing and drinking wiskey, it was a comedy Grumpy old Men or something like that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Anyways I thought about having an Icehouse at times but we normaly just make a fire and freeze our asses off and go home skunked. All we would catch is some 10" cutthroats anyways and that sure as hell isn't worth freezing our asses off.

You say you make it with bunks? You people sleep in those things? omg that is dedication to fishing I tell ya, dayaammm

Old 11-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, Lots of people sleep in 'em. If you have a nice heater, food, beverages, you will be all set. I am sure their are alot of people that sleep in their fishhouses out on Mille Lacs Lake, cuz their are some big houses out there during the winter. Some almost as big as a small mobile home![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2004, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

my buddy's dad is making a 6' 6"x 20' Ice house out of an old camper, it will sleep six, I told him we are going to need walkie talkies just to talk in that thing. I'm not sure what we are doing for sure for bunks yet, I do need some ideas. My buddy in school is getting back to me about some old cushions from a camper that I can re-cover. http://www.qualityfh.com/ scroll way down on this page where there is a table and benches in the middle and bunks on the top left and top right. I like this idea.

Old 11-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

My next project is a 8x8 for the wife and me. it will be made of 4x8 sections that will have two of the sectins built like sleighs, they will be floor pieces. the plan is to have all of the cabin made 4x8 or smaller to stack on these sleighs. as soon as the muskeg freezes i will be able to pull them with the sled or quad. heat will be supplied by a tin heater for a wood stove, beds will be fold up.

Old 11-15-2004, 03:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: psychotic400ex
me and my dad just started a ice house. six and a half feet wide and twelve feet long. Retractable wheels. It's turning out nice, we have the floor done and the walls and roof framed, windows are in, ready for insulating the walls and exterior steel sheeting. If you have one share your opinion (likes, dislikes, things you wish you would've done) we are not sure where we are going to put the bunks though. We want it to sleep 4 guys, we kind of have an Idea but any new ideas are welcome.
Probably my best tip from prior experience is to make sure you put thick enough insulation in it. A couple of inches makes all the difference in the world when it comes to keeping the heat in. Another thing is do not put the holes to close together, if you do and you have a big wally or northern take the bait and run, it sure can make a mess out of lines to close by.

Where abouts is Montgomery?

Ryan

Old 11-15-2004, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a double swing open door on the back,so you can open the whole back up and drive a 4 wheeler in,that way you can bring a wheeler along and use it to tow your house when the ice is too thin for a truck. A lot of new pre built houses are including that option now.

Quick Reply: Anybody building an Ice house?