Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

do bobcats scare deer off

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default do bobcats scare deer off

We have had the Bobcats coming back here in Maine. And had a kinda neat experience
this year while bow hunting...
I was hunting this area for a week or more and one evening the deer came within range.
I got all ready and all of a sudden the deer bolted! Im thinking damn "I dont see how he scented me " so Im sitting there just watching and wondering,then within about 20 seconds after the deer bolted.. a cat came wondering in past my blind,it had a rabbit or small turkey (not sure)
and I thought great there goes my chance at the deer today! Then within about a minute
the deer about 25 yards away puffs up and its head down runs at the cat...the cat bolted and the deer wondered back into my range to feed.I could not believe it! And within 5 minutes I got my nice spike buck.
But to answer the question Yes I do believe like said above they will scare deer, BUT the deer
will come back. Cats can be pretty agressive also. That same evening I shot that deer after seeing the cat,it was dark when my wifes grandfather got to me to help get the deer out.And about 50 yards away we could hear the cat or cats growling letting us know they were there. I would imagine because they wanted that deer I had.
I say if its legal in your area shoot them cats and coyotes in that area and you wont have to worry so much about them scaring/killing your
deer ; )

Old 01-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a picture of a picture,its the only cat I have ever shot.
this is an average size Bobcat around my area in Maine

BOBCAT 1

CAT 2

Old 01-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some animals in Africa will stay within a certain distance of lions to keep them in site. Especially the animals that can outrun a lion.

Maybe deer like to keep bobcats in site?

I don't think bobcats are too much of a threat to grown deer. I could see a bobcat going after a very small baby fawn.

I haven't seen very many bobcats. They are very elusive animals. I have heard a few at night. If I was a deer and I knew there was a bobcat in the area. I might feel like the area was safe. Unless I was a doe with a fawn or two. Because if it wasn't safe then the bobcat wouldn't still be in the area.

Deer approach smaller animals all the time. Deer share the corn fields with a lot of other animals like raccoons, turkeys and bear. The deer will approach a smaller animal but avoid the larger animal like a bear.

Old 01-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

saw 2 bobcats saturday while on a snow ride at about 2500 feet

they were just walking across the trail as I was approaching them at about 40mph

when i got to where they crossed they just stood about 30 yards from me and looked at me

Old 01-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I saw my first bald eagle out in the wild today. I've seen them in zoo's but never out in the wild. I think they're making a come back in this area.

The eagle was trying to feed on a dead doe. It was being harassed by a bunch of crows. The eagle was about 40 to 50 feet away.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Coyotechaser
I saw my first bald eagle out in the wild today. I've seen them in zoo's but never out in the wild. I think they're making a come back in this area. .
Wow, they must be more prevalent around here. I see them on a semi regular basis.