Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Ladder tree stands?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ladder tree stands?

I've been looking at different tree stands with ladders. Does anyone like or dislike any specific kinds or makes of ladder tree stands? Anything to look out for when purchasing a tree stand?

I've been looking at the two person models but would consider a one person model.

Old 12-29-2004, 03:48 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

I love ladder stands! I use both ladder stands and climbers. The thing I look for the most in the stand is comfort. I like to be able to sit all day. I also like to be at the very least 16 feet up. Although I have built 14 fters before. I like to use the ones that have a back to the seat. The only downfall I have run into is that it was kinda hard to put up by myself, but I did it. I like to have a removable gun rest, so I can use it for bow season as well. All and all the durabilty is great, and you can move them pretty easy with help. Like I said the biggest thing I look for is comfort and so far ladder stands have given me the best in comfort. I'am looking into getting a 2 man stand so my son and I can sit together. I noticed alot of em are on same at Cabelas and BassPro.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at the stands at Cabelas and Basspro. I think even Walmart carries a similar model as Cabelas. I've also been looking at www.sportsmansguide.com.

Here is one model I've been considering. I think this model is also at Cabelas.

Old 12-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a aluminum ladder stand since I started hunting when I was 12. Even back then I could pack it in and set up on my own. It does not have a back to the seat and only gets me about 12' high, but the fact it is light weight and back packable worth mor than another 2-3'. If you have your own land and do not have to move it at all then the steel ones are fine. I just got a climber about two years ago and it is by far my choice now. I can not remember what brand the climber is but can look next time I am out at the cabin if you would like. My dad bought it for me 15 years ago when we live in NC so I am not sure if it is even made anymore. My climber is a API Grand Slam and is a excellent buy.

Old 12-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

Ive had an API Grand Slam(climber) for about 4 years. My father and my brother bought the same after they saw mine. Until this year it is all I have used, but I got some chain-ons for hunting in pines that I cant get a climber into. Climbers have their ups and their downs but I like to hunt at at least 30ft so its the only choice for me....very safe treestand.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I ended up getting a ladder stand. I'm going to set it up and leave it so the added weight shouldn't be a concern. How do people lock them to a tree. I was thinking that I might need a few locks for different spots on the stand.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually just lock it to a tree with a small chain or cable at the top. Always worked for me? If some one wants it bad enough they will come back with a bolt cutters, but I dont' know anybody that carries them with them in the woods.