Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

what is your # 1 choice rifle cartridge for deer huniting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is your # 1 choice rifle cartridge for deer huniting?

a "light" .22

Old 04-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...it seems now he will sue the Govt. for posting his video on national news.I don't think I would get on TV and acknowledge that I was that stupid.The best part is where the idiot kept on trying to demonstrate after the accident,that part was dumber!

Old 04-16-2006, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
I've had pretty good luck with the 7.62x39 at short ranges. I use it for heavy brush work. In fact I got nearly all my does with it the last couple of years. Dropped them fine. Anything under 150-200 seems to drop them no problem. As long as you use QUALITY ammo from Winchester or Remington it kills just as well as 30-30 in my experience if not better. You don't want to take long shots with it though. I've found it to be a handy brush cartridge when used in short rugged rifles.

I took a few deer with my Ruger mini 30 in 7.62x39. It does the job but doesn't exactly blow them over. Within 100 you're okay, except that particular rifle is about as accurate as your first pee in the morning. I see someone's now making a little bolt action in the 7.62, I think Remington or Ruger. Might be fun to mess with, and lots of cheap ammo too.

But I pretty much stay with my 270 these days, when I pull the trigger they fall. Oh and my 44 Super Blackhawk, I shot a little buck with it last fall and boy howdy did it do the trick.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:45 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: pwillie
...it seems now he will sue the Govt. for posting his video on national news.I don't think I would get on TV and acknowledge that I was that stupid.The best part is where the idiot kept on trying to demonstrate after the accident,that part was dumber!
I love in the video how our hero brags how "he's the only one in the room professional enough to carry the deadly .40 caliber Glock" pistol. Just as he does that he releases the slide on a full mag (after dramatically showing that it was empty a second earlier) pulls the weapon down in front of himself and in full view of the entire class breaks yet another basic firearms rule, places his finger on the trigger, pulls it, and pumps a jacket hollowpoint into his foot. Classic. Yeah you're a real crack federal stormtrooper there slapnuts. Hell, you could have given one of those kids the instruction book from Glock and he probably could have successfully cleared the weapon for you. They even draw you little cartoons to follow and they have big red warnings telling you to keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Guess that was too much of a mental stretch for our DEA stormtrooper. Musta had a big night before splitting atoms at the nuclear plant.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...he quoted on the "Today" show that he loved "Undercover work" ,what kind of cover was he under?WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHAaaaaaaaaaa aaaaa......and he wants to protect us from drug dealers?....Recently,the Alabama legislature passed a law that allows a home owner,business owner, and vehicle owner to use deadly force if you are being attacked..............only two dessenting votes!! Fl. and I think Ms. are the others,the NRA hailed it as a great stride forward for the protection of ones self and freedom to have guns....Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 05-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

i use a ruger m77 30-06, 270 remington 700, marlin 45-70, marlin 357 (deer drives)