Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

got my doe tag

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got my doe tag

Also, before rifled slug barrels and the like came out people were forced to use regular old foster slugs being pushed through a smooth bore. I would bet that this accounted for a huge number of wounded animals. I know I had a heck of a time getting a slug to even hit the target at 50 yards. Groups could be measured in the tens of inches. Terribly inaccurate. When I was hunting with a smooth bore I never even attempted a shot over 25 or 30 yards. Even when you actually hit the deer chances are it wouldn't be anywhere near vital area you were aiming at. I would love to see some actual statistics on shots fired through a smooth bore shotgun using regular deer slugs and actual kills and hits resulting in being unable to retrieve game.

The sooner the Iowa DNR or legislature wises up and allows rifles the better. Better for hunters and better for deer ironically.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got my doe tag

i, also, am happy to report i got my doe tag today. i cant wait, because i am a junior hunter still (16) i can go rifle hunting during muzzleloader. woohoo! aight, just thought i'd let yians know. happy hunting![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]