Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Good caliber for 12-year old?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good caliber for 12-year old?

Wow. I was away for the weekend and pleased to see the discussion that took place on this when I checked in tonight.

I certainly have not made up my mind on exactly which route to go yet, and I probably won't for at least another month or so. The more I keep looking into it, the more options there are... including a single shot, break action .308, or maybe just going ahead and letting him practice with and use my bolt-action 30-06, or any of the other options mentioned to this point.

springdrl - I do appreciate your bit delivered from the soapbox, but you are preaching to the choir. I've been bringing my son with me deer hunting for several years now and we work on our hunting (not shooting) skills together whenever we get the opportunity, which is nice for both of us since I was an adult before I went hunting for my first time.

georged - thanks for the link to the recoil information. I'll certainly factor that in.

Keep the tips/suggestions/opinions coming. They are all appreciated.

Old 08-22-2005, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider

I would say a 7mm-08 also. Savage makes a youth model. I don't know about Remington. I bought some of the reduced recoil ammo this last week and am going to do a comparison this week sometime. I will let you know. It's for the 300 win mag remington 700. So, I will see how much difference it makes.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: WyoBullRydr
I would say a 7mm-08 also. Savage makes a youth model. I don't know about Remington. I bought some of the reduced recoil ammo this last week and am going to do a comparison this week sometime. I will let you know. It's for the 300 win mag remington 700. So, I will see how much difference it makes.
WyoBullRydr - I'm interested to hear your opinions on the reduced recoil ammunition. Make sure to let us know what you think.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

My daughter killed a deer with a .270 Remington 710 when she was 11. It wasn't too terrible an experience on her shoulder. I have seriously been considering the .243 for my other kids. I have seen some nice loads offered for the .243 as well.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DevoMR
Originally posted by: WyoBullRydrI would say a 7mm-08 also. Savage makes a youth model. I don't know about Remington. I bought some of the reduced recoil ammo this last week and am going to do a comparison this week sometime. I will let you know. It's for the 300 win mag remington 700. So, I will see how much difference it makes.
WyoBullRydr - I'm interested to hear your opinions on the reduced recoil ammunition. Make sure to let us know what you think.
I will be doing some shooting on Thurs. I will let you know Thurs evening after I do some "side by side" comparisons. I hope they perform as advertised.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ABXtreme
You may also want to look at the 260 Remington. I have been hearing nothing but great reviews on this caliber. Do a google search on it and you can read some about it. I am a huge fan of the 243, 270, and 7mm, but I will own a new 260 before the season starts[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
One of my customers is a huge rifle guy, owns dozens of custom made ones, shoots long range prairie dog stuff, and has had great success with the 260, even had one made up for his wife for a deer rifle. It's everything the 243 wishes it was in a way, little heavier bullet more ft lbs of energy, still mild kick etc.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

My girlfriend is about 120lbs soakin wet, and has killed several deer with her savage 260. All her shots have been within 200 yrds, and all have been clean one-shot kills. She has no trouble at all handleing the recoil of the 260 rem.

I personally know several kids in the 12-14 year old range who use rounds on the 06 case. While they handle the recoil well, a short-action round such as a 7-08 or 260 is plenty deer rifle for any hunter, reguardless of age.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Just thought of something, Browning makes the BAR in a "short action" model. I think I am going to pick up a .308 for the wife (120 lbs) and maybe the kiddos can start on it too when they get old enough. The Safari can be had with a muzzel brake.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

260 Remington ballistics look almost exactly like a 25-06 and are similar to several others. Marketing does sell new calibers.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 420rappy
you should try some of the newer calibers like some of the short mags 25 wssm , 243 wssm, or the 270 wsm . they have very good balistics.
I have a friend w/ a Browning A-bolt in 243 WSSM. I have personally seen him drop several deer in thier tracks, not becouse the 243 wssm is a super caliber, but its adiquate and he only takes good, clean shots.

The 25 wssm would be a superb choice also, and would be able to use it for a long time. The 270 WSM on the other hand would be way to much gun to start with. I have both a 300wsm and a 270wsm, although recoil is noticibly different, it is simular.

Quick Reply: Good caliber for 12-year old?