Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Specifically for Hunting and Farm work??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specifically for Hunting and Farm work??

which utility quad can take the abuse of hunting and farm work? I don't really want those big 501 cc's and up quads, i would want something in between 350 to 500. Thanks

Old 09-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

There are so many out there, all of them are good. I had a 2004 Arctic Cat 400 auto and used it for hunting, plowing, and general use. It was great and had more then enough power for my needs. Honda's are probably the most reliable, however are lacking some major features - IMO. I used to ride Polaris, however had bad luck with them. I am sure they are better now though. If you are a Yamaha man check out the Kodiak. I like the Arctic Cat's because of the IRS, huge ground clearance, bigest racks with MRP attachments, locking differential, and they come with a 2" receiver hitch. The 400's and 500's can be had in auto's or manuals depending on what you like. Solid Suzuki engines too. Good luck to you! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Bruin 350 4x4. I love it, its a really tuff machine. The only thing I did not like about it is the stock tires. I fixed that though with some 25" Mud Lite XL's. They make a world of difference. Anyhow, I would really reccomend the Bruin. Its worth at least looking into. Specially at the price for a 4 wheel drive ATV you cannot beat the price of this thing. It has everything you need and nothing you dont.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for your help!

Old 09-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

you should check out the older kodiaks or bigbears the ones with the 5speed semi-autos they are tough as hell ours kodiak halled a 16 foot trailer that is double framed made out of steel and 20 cedar logs on it (not very heavy logs but big enough) and the tires were flat and it still didn't rev the engine and well if you want to abuse it more then we do i don;t think its possible but god these things are tough! take a look at one

Old 09-30-2005, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: keelam
thanks for your help!
No problem, if you have any questions about the Bruin just ask.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

YEP!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-03-2005, 03:35 AM
Trailblazer

Not knocking the Bruin , but if you want to use your machine for farm work I would choose something other than the Bruin because it does not have low range . For a work horse machine , any 4x4 utility quad with a manual tranny and low range would be your best bet .

Old 10-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Just some thoughts on engine size determination:

One reason I chose the KQ for utility work rather than a smaller engined machine was the higher torque at lower RPMs, definite advantages for towing and rough terrain with a load. While your location isn't subjected to snow or ice, you do get some mud making the locking differential a plus. And from reports I'm reading, the KQ fuel injection is providing far better gas mileage than lesser CC engines with conventional carburetors (I don't check mileage).

Old 10-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Some years ago, I bought an old Big Bear 350, to see how it would do on my farm. It was tough as nails, a real workhorse. Rode like a nail, too. Wouldn't pull a huge load, but it got me and my tools to where I needed to be.

Only other problem I had was getting stuck on my rough farm, the bear high centered fairly easily.

So I went looking for a quad that sat higher, had more engine torque, but still had a manual transmission for towing trailers. Bought a Cat 500i back in 2002, and it's given me three years of tough and trouble free service. I've never high centered it, never stuck it. And it has a very smooth ride.

I was told early on that an IRS wasn't good for hauling heavy loads. Nonsense. I've hauled 20 foot long cedar logs with one end strapped to the Cat's rear rack, and the other end dragging on the ground. Hauled them down a hill, and up another (building a log garage for my quad), and routinely haul trailers full of cut oak, probably 600 pounds a trailer. No problems at all, and the IRS gives me great ground clearance.

One thing to be aware of - if you're riding on your own land, be wary of aggressive mud tires. They can be hard on the ground, especially areas where you pass over a lot. You might get ruts and erosion where you don't want them.

Quick Reply: Specifically for Hunting and Farm work??