Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Camp shower

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camp shower

Just wondering or gathering ideas on a shower for camp. I have a "on demand" pump already. I need ideas on how to heat the water. Anyone have any suggestions? I know it is a hunting camp and I need to "rough it"...but a warm shower means alot to us[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2005, 03:45 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camp shower

We fill 5 gallon collapsibile plastic bags with hot/warm water from the camp stoves. (These are the bags that have the screw on tube with a shower head.) We then hoist them into a tree and enjoy a shower. Your right, a warm shower feels soooo nice after a day or two of hunting. I understand the Zodiac showers work real nice.

My wife and I made a trip to camp yesterday and woke this morning to 1 1/2" of wet, heavy snow. Good luck on your hunt!

Old 10-05-2005, 04:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Camp shower

Last year we used a couple of those solar water bags that are supposed to heat the water in the sun...what a waste they were. This year I was looking at the Coleman Water Heater as I heard good things about it. My hunting partner wound up buying a 28' hauler, so we didnt need it. I'm back to thinking I may need it, or something, now for the late season though. A bit pricy for a shower, but better than stankin the place up and spookin the game.

Let us know what you go with and how it works out.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Trailblazer
Default Camp shower

Cabelas (and I'm sure some others) offer portable hot water kits if you don't mind spending a few bucks. Here is a link. Like I said, I'm sure there are other options out there...

Old 10-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Camp shower

If vehicles can get close enough to the camp to enable hauling that type of gear in, why not rent a motel room and commute for showers? Just curious.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Trailblazer
Default Camp shower

Originally posted by: georged
If vehicles can get close enough to the camp to enable hauling that type of gear in, why not rent a motel room and commute for showers? Just curious.
As an example, my brother and I own 40 acres of hunting land with just a little shack on the property. No electric and no running water. We could stay at a motel 10 miles away, but then were not right where the action is, so to speak. The shack has a place to eat and sleep and stay warm, just not any "luxuries" like a shower - yet. A few nights at a motel would add up pretty quickly to more cost than a portable shower/heater.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default Camp shower

Originally posted by: DevoMR
As an example, my brother and I own 40 acres of hunting land with just a little shack on the property. No electric and no running water. We could stay at a motel 10 miles away, but then were not right where the action is, so to speak. The shack has a place to eat and sleep and stay warm, just not any "luxuries" like a shower - yet. A few nights at a motel would add up pretty quickly to more cost than a portable shower/heater.
I was just curious. Most of my big game hunting has taken place in Western mountain ranges where, when camping out or packing in, the presence of streams for bathing purposes are normal and the idea of a shower, with hot water, seemed unusual. Times do change.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Camp shower

I was just curious. Most of my big game hunting has taken place in Western mountain ranges where, when camping out or packing in, the presence of streams for bathing purposes are normal and the idea of a shower, with hot water, seemed unusual. Times do change.
Yea, not too many mountain streams in the deserts of Arizona. Though it would be a refreshing change...

Old 10-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Range Rover
Default Camp shower

I've done the stream bathing. During most Oct and all of Nov hunts here in north Idaho stream bathing isn't any fun. Give me a warm shower anytime. We do use heated stream water though.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] We had 1 1/2" of snow yesterday morning at camp. Typically in Oct. where we camp it is usually in the teens or low twenties in the morning.

Old 10-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Camp shower

Originally posted by: Wayback40
I've done the stream bathing. During most Oct and all of Nov hunts here in north Idaho stream bathing isn't any fun. Give me a warm shower anytime. We do use heated stream water though.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] We had 1 1/2" of snow yesterday morning at camp. Typically in Oct. where we camp it is usually in the teens or low twenties in the morning.
I'm very familiar with the Idaho Panhandle, lived outside Priest River from 1981 through the early 1992, until Californians finally took it over. I've hunted most of it and Western Montana, preferring the St. Joe Drainage, but did take elk from the Blanchard herd. And I also heated stream water on the campfire, had to or it would turn to ice on my skin. I had enough of 4' of snow on the front deck winters and mud springs.

Quick Reply: Camp shower