Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

tresspassers cut down all the trees

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tresspassers cut down all the trees

In Louisiana this is a serious offense called tree poaching. This can carry a $10,000 fine PER tree. Many wood cutters have taken advantage of absentee landowners that aren't around.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

I think your father is making a * huge * mistake not getting the law involved. This not only needs to be documented with local law enforcement but he also needs to retain an attorney. What this person has done is illegal. It is theft and destruction of property and should not be so easily dismissed not just for himself but for the sake of his neighbors. If he gets away with it with one landowner he will think he can do it to others.

The damage needs to be documented with pictures and video the trees need to be measured and a forester brought in to assess their market value if any. Then there is the damage done the the property with his equipment. Then there is the costs you incur with all of this including your time and attorney fees.

I'm not the lawsuit type of person in the least, but considering the utter unmitigated contempt I have for trespassers I'd soak the SOB for every dime I could. I'd try to get him in trouble criminally and civilly. Even if he doesn't have any assets you can seize if you can make him spend his weekends in jail or garnishee is wages for years it will make him think twice before trespassing again. That portion of his paycheck going to you every week that is noted on his his pay stub is going to make him wonder if it really worth screwing around with someone else's property next time.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

i agree 100 percent with all of you guys but well my father for some odd reason doesn't get to excited about stuff that involves the law for some reason. his being so laid back is really frustrating me lately but i can't do anything bout it i tried and tried talking him into doing something i mean anything but nope. well thanx for the responses guys.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

how about having the guy who cut the trees donating his profits from the trees to a charity(did he sell for $?). Your dad might back that and no law invoved, guy doesn't get away with stealing/learns crime doesn't pay.
Or did the guy think they were on his property, in some weird way?

Old 01-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

it was clearly posted with no hunting or tresspassing signs heck one of the tree's he cut down behind my stand had a sign nailed right on it but if he doesn't wanna do anything about it i can't make him but i know if the guy ever does anything again that he will be in for it. and that is a very good idea but i guess the guy has like no money and is barely making ends meat to begin with i said i don't care you do the crime you gotta do the time but i guess dad is more compassionate then i am. i have no tollerence for idiots who think they can get away with whatever they want.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

Back in the day you could cross somones property and it was no big deal. A.ssholes like this guy are the one's who made people put up no trespassing signs.