Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

ATV Mowers, looking for updates, have reviewed old threads

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Movers, looking for updates, have reviewed old threads

I was curious how everyone is getting along with their ATV mowers, be it push, pull or belly. I visited ALL the thread on here and found lots of good info, however, none of it was very current. Just wondering if there is any new news on this subject, any new members than have just bought such a mower and what type of ATVs you all are using to pull them with.

My yard is about 3 acres, and currently I utilize a John Deere Lawn Mower that I purchased new in 97. While it still runs and looks great, I've aften thought of adding a second mower so the wife and I could cut the mowing time in half. After recently buying a pair of ATVs, I stumbled on the pull behind mowers and that got me to thinkinig. I see where the pull behind are the best for close quarters, but our regular mower could handle that task and I was thinking the pull behind would be fairly fast (or at least alot more comfortable on my mole holed front lawn) with my ATV.

Any updates would be great.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

I've also been looking for current info here and other sites, to no avail. Could be the time of year?

Old 01-31-2006, 11:54 PM
rv
Pro Rider

have you ever watched prairie farm report it is a neet show,one show about inventions showed a guy with a bunch of regular push mowers hooked together behind his quad looked like it mowed quite a swath and was fairly cheep.they were all stagered so they didnt miss any grass.

any way so i built one out of three lawn mowers i had laying around and it worked fine its kind of red neck but it works good,and it was cheap.i only used it for a few mounths untell i bought a ride.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Mowers, looking for updates, have reviewed old threads

I don't have much to offer as far as new mowers goes.
I found a mower last summer that i've been looking for for some time. It's a flail mower like what you would find mowing a field or along the highway. Most are PTO driven but this one is self propelled with an 8 HP Briggs engine.
What i found popped up on Ebay in the midwest, its a 36" cut pull behind mower with about 90 flails spinning around on a drum.
I'll get around to posting some pictures once i get into the digital age.
The thing is an animal. I've cut 4' cattail in a wet hole with out bogging it down. and also cut a yard to about 1/2" like a finish mower. It also came with hopper to run it around my yard to pick up leaves and branches.
Anyways, they are few and far between. This one was manufactured in 1972 by the Mathews Co. They are still in business and still have parts including flails.but they no longer make the mower. There are others that come up, a 4' unit would be great.
Good luck with your search.
Deer killer

Old 02-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Old 02-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Here's another reel type pull mower:

http://www.outsidepride.com/store/ca...x-p-17841.html

The more I look at ATV mowers and their prices, the better a riding mower looks.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

It didn't work out all that well for me. I have a Swisher 44", nothing really wrong with the mower, just that a quad isn't a good lawnmower. It's heavy, doesn't turn well, is hard to hold at a steady speed for an hour or two, tears the grass up if you turn too sharp.

I suppose if you have a flat yard with no obstructions, and can mow in a straight line, it might work out okay. Compared to a dedicated lawnmower, the mower/quad combination just isn't as good.

Note - if you're using this as an excuse to get a quad past the wife - it's a great idea.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QUOTE from JohnOIt didn't work out all that well for me. I have a Swisher 44", nothing really wrong with the mower, just that a quad isn't a good lawnmower. It's heavy, doesn't turn well, is hard to hold at a steady speed for an hour or two, tears the grass up if you turn too sharp. Compared to a dedicated lawnmower, the mower/quad combination just isn't as good.

I agree; I have two tractors (Deere & Ford) in the 50 hp range, and you just can't compare then to a wheeler. The only advantage to a wheeler that I have seen is it's narrower so it's better for trails in the woods, and a wheeler is far better on soft ground. Also, if you have a small patch to mow that is a several miles down the road you can get there, mow, and be home before a tractor ever turns a blade.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

I have three friends that use the Swisher pull behinds and they have to fix their bikes all the time. Over heating, brake pads, axle boots/CV joints, plus two of them have an entire spare set of tires just to mow with so they don't tear up their yards to much (they still tear them up). I wouldn't use a pull behind, I'd get a professional lawn mower, one of those zero turn deals. That would cut your mowing time in half.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Can't give you a good answer about mowing a yard but I have the rough cut pull behind from Swisher and for doing feed lots, around barns, fence lines and such it is great. I would think it would be a little tough to try to do a decent job around trees and other landscaping. For yard areas we use a rider and push mower.

Quick Reply: ATV Mowers, looking for updates, have reviewed old threads