Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

ATV Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Trailers

I'm ready to buy a trailer for my quad, primarily to haul firewood, brush, dirt, etc. I had one of the dump-bed trailers with my last quad, about 10 cubic feet, but always felt restricted by the low (12") sides. I've been looking at this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47845 with the thought of putting 3' front/sides/rear on it with the bottom 18" inside sheathed with plywood in the stake holders.

Anybody using anything similar to this, or other trailers that offer a bit more capacity than the standard garden trailer?

Old 03-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATV Trailers

I have a custom 4x8 with a ramp and steele sides about 18 gauge metal,makes it lighter.Cost was 650.00 rasbucknics.....check your local welding and steele shops.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Trailers

Originally posted by: pwillie
I have a custom 4x8 with a ramp and steele sides about 18 gauge metal,makes it lighter.Cost was 650.00 rasbucknics.....check your local welding and steele shops.
Appreciate that, but I'm looking for something to tow behind my quad that's less than 48" wide, including wheels. Since I'll be using it in the woods, steep hills and expanded deer trails, 8' length plus the quad would be a challenge I don't want. I've looked at highway approved regular and special trailers intended to carry quads and misc., there are some deals, but the overall widths are always too wide for my application. I did try a couple of fabrication shops that do utility trailers, but they're all based on widely available DOT blessed axle assemblies and good plans. I give them the dimensions, a decent drawing and $60/hr. Six hundred, minimum. For that, I'll buy one of the 10 sq. ft. $100 specials and make two trips. I was in the $3-400 bracket and preferred a proven product. As I read this post, the $100 special is looking better and better.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATV Trailers

Hate to tell you this ole buddy,but I pull this same trailer all over the place.Through the woods and on trails,also a southern clear cut is a real test with logs,limbs,and tree tops!My King Quad doesn't strain at all.Very few places I can't tote the load! And I can pull the same trailer behind my P/U with the ATV in it,a true dual purpose trailer. I do have a smaller trailer that I use for small jobs, I bought at the Suzuki dealer for 300.00 its made by rubbermaid of ALL PEOPLE....gOOD LUCK!

Old 03-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Trailers

As mentioned, the hillside terrain and dense timber where I live and ride would, for me, make anything wider than the quad with a quad/trailer combined length of 16-18' an undesirable combination. I'd need a D8 and excavator to break usable trail.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Range Rover
Default ATV Trailers

My dad has one similar to what you are showing at harbor freight. It has sides probably 20 or 24" high, but the tires on it are larger, sorta like wide ballon nobbies. You can drag that thing along any hill side and it won't tip or shift at all. Can't haul much in it though, I always tell him to stick two milk carts on his racks and he'd haul the same amount of wood. He laughs, but doesn't think I'm real funny.
I have a small 4'x6' tractor supply trailer I tote behind my quadrunner, works okay, not very high thought, drags alot.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Trailers

I bought the Agri-Fab poly dump cart, 750lb capacity. Great utilization, I've even mixed cement in it for installing posts away from the beaten trail. Doesn't carry a lot, 10 cubic feet, but I've found that due to my mountainous terrain I don't want much more than that behind me going around a steep hillside or going down hill.

I have already replaced the axle and wheel support ($45). A laborer I hired to move 3/4 minus gravel loaded it to the top, probably 1500 lbs, and towed it over a rough trail several times. Poor supervision on my part.

For $205, I think it's a real bargain. I like it far better than my prior sheet metal box 10 cubic yard dump trailer.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:49 PM
2TV
Pro Rider
Default ATV Trailers

These look really nice and would probably hold up well in an all terrain situation. That Harbor Freight model you were looking at only has 8" tires, that would mean the ground clearance is 4" or less on it, and that is not much for going through the woods...

Old 07-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Trailers

I didn't want to spend $600 for an ATV trailer to haul firewood and perform odd jobs. I do about three cords of hardwood a season, plus moving things around with the trailer. I move firewood from storage with the trailer when we're using it, bigger would be better in that circumstance, but then trailer storage becomes an issue as I don't leave anything with metal components outside because I get a lot of rain. It works for me.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Trailers

Originally posted by: 2TV
These look really nice and would probably hold up well in an all terrain situation. That Harbor Freight model you were looking at only has 8" tires, that would mean the ground clearance is 4" or less on it, and that is not much for going through the woods...
Those do look like great trailers. I agree with your theory that he wouldn't have any ground clearance.

georged...I'd consider going by the nearest farm store that stocks tires, wheels and axles and just build one yourself. It isn't that hard and you could get a <u>tall</u> tire to raise the axle height up. The taller and wider the tire the better for what you're doing. I'm converting an old john boat trailer over to pull behind mine for hauling trash, wood, broken Banshees, etc. If you look around someone might GIVE you an old trailer just to get rid of it.

Quick Reply: ATV Trailers