Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Varmide disposal....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Varmide disposal....

I guess it has some thing to do with where you live! I live on the edge of a swamp,on 8 acres.We have all kinds of vermin,like snakes,possum,coons,feral cats,squirrels,bats,fox,coyote,turkey,deer,frogs,t urtles,and tresspassers......We only shoot tressepasers...LOL............seriously,if we do see the need to disperse some of the creatures,we leave them for carrion eaters..such as possums etc...a possum will eat anything.........A possum has to make a living like anything else.......We also have wild (feral )hogs,that will keep the snake population in control...........and eat anything you leave for them........thats why their called hogs..........I wouldn't shoot a dove......unless I was going to eat it...I don't shoot many squirrels unless they get into my house...........All of the above animals can be used for a food source.......baked possum and sweet potatoes are a southern delicacy.............

Old 04-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to try some game meat some time i guess... but im only a teenager and we usally have chicken (right from maple lodge) or steak as a treat on the weekend which i'd rather prefere. I dont think my dad would carve up a dove (do you know a way to do it?) but i guess it would be the same as carving up a fish only featherier lol...
i gotta talk to him some more.

thanks for the replies

DI

Old 04-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

Most of the time I just dispose of them. I shot a few ground hogs last year, and just burried them in their own holes. lol, this way I dont have to dig them myself. As far as chipmonks, I'll just leave them lay depending on where I shot them. Porcupines I burry for obvious reasons, dont want the dog getting into its dead body.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

Cobra R6 do you shoot in the bush? just wondering

DI

Old 04-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

I live in the woods, so I can basically leave the chipmonks lay where they fall. If it is out in the yard or something I will throw it up in the woods so they are not in plain site. Most of the time though I am shooting in the woods. P.S. An excellent small game load for a .22 are Aguila SSS (Sniper Subsonic). They are a 60 grain Subsonic load, and they are excellent for snuffing out chipmonks ground hogs etc. happy hunting

Old 04-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

cool i leave them in the bush then.. i only have a .177 pellet gun. it is powerful so humane kills will be constant.
plus im using pointed pellets so that helps as well.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

I use a pellet gun too for varmits, but I use my 20 gague for squirrel and stuff like that. Don't you hunt at all or anything?? MAn, Canadia has some of the best hunting around!!

Old 04-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Drive it.. If you aint gonna eat it dont kill it.. with exception to mice and rats.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

i know canada has great hunting... it just that i never get to do it...
this weekend im sighting in my new air rifle ... cant wait!!
i fish alot, boat alot, ATV alot, target shoot alot, everything execpt hunting or pest hunting im starting this
year though...
plus the only things im killing is pests anyways and i dont really want to eat a pest.

thanks for the replies

DI