Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Mathews bows - switchback draw length?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mathews bows - switchback draw length?

Need some info from anyone who owns a mathews bow, especially the switchback...

what is involved in changing the draw length? can this be done easily?

how do you like the bow? I know mathews have a great name, but what is highllights of the switchback?

thanks in advance.

Ken

Old 04-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

I have worked part time at an Archery shop for the last 5 years, so I will do my best to help you. You are correct in Mathews having a great name, they also have a great Bow to go with it. And after 5 years of tearing Bow's down, I say the Best Bow made! And Some of the smootest shooting Bow's on the market today.
The only complaint about a Mathews is they are draw length specific. Which means to change the draw, you have to change the cam(about $100 with labor). Their is a half inch adjustment on most new models, but it also changes the % of let-off.

The Switchback is an excellent Bow. If you get one you will love it.

Their are 2 major mistakes made by a large percentage of people when buying a Bow! First, make sure your draw length is perfect. Once you have been measured, or think you know what length you want, dont order it until you have shot the exact Bow you are buying in what you think fits and one size up and one size down! most people I see are shooting to long of a draw length, A correct draw length makes shooting so much easier!
Also, the draw weight. To many times people come in to shoot and after 10-15 shots they are starting to struggle to draw. You should be able to launch arrows for 30-45 minutes with out straining. The performance of todays Bows is unreal. A 60lb modern Bow with out shoot and out perform a 75lb Bow from 20 years ago.
On a boar hunt we went on a couple years ago, I watched a guy (pulling 73lbs) make a good (but not a pass through) shot on a boar at 23 yards. The same guy watched my buddy Jimmy (drawing 60 lbs) take a 35 yard shot on a larger Boar, and the arrow passed clean through and stuck in the ground! I had tuned both Bows myself, and they were shooting the same Gold tips with muzzy's! So get a draw that is comfortable for you.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks,

Been shooting a Martin Cougar for years, and just got the itch for a new bow.

I will go shoot some, as you suggest, before I spend the money... Its to a point that a good bow cost quite a bit more than a good rifle and scope these days.

Thanks again,

Ken