Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

AltAlt... or whatever!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AltAlt... or whatever!!!

What is this thing?? I hear it's going to be legalized for hunting in Pa sometime soon?? Anyone know anyhting about this thing?? It looks kinda odd, and, with some idiots that hunt, would more deer would probably be wounded than killed?? Just wondering, any feedback would be great.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider

You're probably thinking of an atlatl. A spear chucker for a lack of a better descriptor. It allows one to toss a spear or dart at a much greater velocity than you can by just tossing it by using your arm. Predates the bow and arrow. One of those stone age weapons that while deceptively simple has really neat science behind it. I'd advise anyone to build one some time and try to become reasonably proficient with it. Probably find instruction on the net someplace. Just look up "atlatl". Quite a challenge and with the right darts/spears and points could be quite lethal. Might even keep you out of trouble for a few weeks making throwers, shafts fletchings and arrowheads.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Wonder if they will let you use them in bow season, or do you think they will have thier own season? I dont think I like the idea of having them either. There are alot of people out there that will jump on the idea of getting to kill a deer with one of these, and not become a sufficient shot with it and end up wounding some deer. On the other hand if you do your homework, and become a good shot/ hunter with one of these things, I dont see any reason not to let you hunt deer with them. The chances of every one doing their home work though, is slim to none lol.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, that's kinda what I was worried about, Cobra. Cause you know some idiots that hunt here *cough*Nathan*cough* Tehe. I dunno, I was just wondering what it was all about....

Old 04-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

You could put a pretty heavy weight spear point and kill a deer as effectively if not more effectively than an arrow especially if you have a good throwing arm. It's all in the mechanical advantage that the atlatl gives you. I've even seen some made from aluminum that were pretty darn vicious. Not really any more difficult to learn to use than a bow and arrow or a blow gun or a slingshot or wrist rocket hand or any heavily handy eye coordination dependent weaponry. I got fairly proficient with an atlatl when I've messed with them with just a little practice. You would really be amazed about how much more power and distance the atlatl gives you over throwing the dart or spear by hand. it is really quite striking (no pun intended). I can see how you could easily take down deer with one.

As far as wounding. How many idiots out there during bow season wound deer? I know bow hunters who can't hit the broad side of a barn and wound deer all the time and can't find them. Shoot deer in the *** or leg. I had a cousin shot a doe one year looked like pin cushion it had so many arrows in it. Not that gun hunters are than much better but their weapons are generally more lethal. I know one bowhunter whose philosophy is this: He shoots the deer with his arrow,(somewhere-he can't really say where) then he gets down out of his stand goes back to his truck and leaves. Then he comes back the next day to look for it supposedly so the deer will lay down and not get spooked by him looking for it. Rarely finds it.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
You could put a pretty heavy weight spear point and kill a deer as effectively if not more effectively than an arrow especially if you have a good throwing arm. It's all in the mechanical advantage that the atlatl gives you. I've even seen some made from aluminum that were pretty darn vicious. Not really any more difficult to learn to use than a bow and arrow or a blow gun or a slingshot or wrist rocket hand or any heavily handy eye coordination dependent weaponry. I got fairly proficient with an atlatl when I've messed with them with just a little practice. You would really be amazed about how much more power and distance the atlatl gives you over throwing the dart or spear by hand. it is really quite striking (no pun intended). I can see how you could easily take down deer with one.

As far as wounding. How many idiots out there during bow season wound deer? I know bow hunters who can't hit the broad side of a barn and wound deer all the time and can't find them. Shoot deer in the *** or leg. I had a cousin shot a doe one year looked like pin cushion it had so many arrows in it. Not that gun hunters are than much better but their weapons are generally more lethal. I know one bowhunter whose philosophy is this: He shoots the deer with his arrow,(somewhere-he can't really say where) then he gets down out of his stand goes back to his truck and leaves. Then he comes back the next day to look for it supposedly so the deer will lay down and not get spooked by him looking for it. Rarely finds it.
I completely agree with you. I can think of a number of people right off the top of my head that cant do didly squat with a bow or even a rifle. The only downfall I can see to the Alt Alt is that it gives these people yet another opportunity to go out and wound a deer. But for those that take the time and learn how to properly use one, it would be a neat expirience taking an animal down with one.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Um, maybe people who break their rifles beating a deer to death.....

Old 04-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ginnis
Um, maybe people who break their rifles beating a deer to death.....
Yes, that persons name was on my list lol.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

On it?? He's number one on mine.... LOL

Old 04-25-2006, 03:06 AM
Pro Rider

Seriously though guys this summer while there isn't anything to do or shoot and you're bored either get some plans off the net and build your own or order a pre made atlatl and darts off the net and give it a shot at least as a experiment. Set up some archery targets and see how you measure up to the cavemen. What is really illustrative is to toss those spears/darts by hand and then by atlatl. Huge difference with that little tool.