Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

anyone here use a recurve bow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone here use a recurve bow?

i'm thinking about getting one, i already have a compound but my uncle has a recurve and he said they are really fun to hunt with. anyone here hunt with one??

Old 05-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

bump

Old 05-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

have and still use on occasions a browning recurve and a hill long bow, but if you are interested in hunting i think you should stick with a compound as you will be more accurate with less practice......

Old 05-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: oper2nyst
have and still use on occasions a browning recurve and a hill long bow, but if you are interested in hunting i think you should stick with a compound as you will be more accurate with less practice......
I agree, also the compound will give higher velocity and more consistancy from shot to shot. I havent hunted with a bow for a number of years but still have a couple of recurves and a few long bows. Going from these to the compounds, which I don't own but have shot, is like going from black and white TV to the new plasmas.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer

I hunt with a recurve bow - a custom made 64# Brackenbury take-down. I also make my own cedar arrows with feathers cut from turkey that I have taken over the years. I do use factory broadheads as I don't have the ability to fabricate my own. The key is limiting my shot to within a distance that I know I'm accurate at and have the ability to ensure making a clean kill. This is about 20 yards for me. I don't get to shoot a lot of deer, but the ones I do get are special trophies - every one. I sure do get to see a lot of wildlife while I'm out there with my stick-and-string though.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: mag92803
I hunt with a recurve bow - a custom made 64# Brackenbury take-down. I also make my own cedar arrows with feathers cut from turkey that I have taken over the years. I do use factory broadheads as I don't have the ability to fabricate my own. The key is limiting my shot to within a distance that I know I'm accurate at and have the ability to ensure making a clean kill. This is about 20 yards for me. I don't get to shoot a lot of deer, but the ones I do get are special trophies - every one. I sure do get to see a lot of wildlife while I'm out there with my stick-and-string though.
There you have the difinitive answer to many questions about "what gun is best" or "how far can I shoot with my Super-Wham Bow". That one sentence in the middle of this post says it all. "The key is limiting my shot to within a distance that I know I'm accurate at and have the ability to ensure making a clean kill". Here is a hunter. He has taken taken the time to know his equipment, And, it would seem, his quarry as well. He then lives by the standards he has set.

Wish there were more real hunters afield.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:01 AM
Trailblazer

I use to hunt with a Martin Hatfield recurve take down. I took 2 nice bucks with it. Shots are limited to 20 yards max. I got tired of passing up ;nice deer because they were 25-35 yards out. Went to a Hoyt Razor Tech last year and love it. It is still fun to shoot the recurve, but I hunt exclusively with the compound now. I would watch my friends shoot groups with their compound and then I would shoot with my recurve and shake my head

Old 09-08-2006, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found that if I practice to much,it changes my shooting habits and i start missing the target. I have been shooting recurves since I was ten yrs old.I am from native American heritage,and that may be why I prefer a long bow are a recurve.I have tried many string and pully bows and can't seem to get settled with them, I shoot natural,which means I instinct shoot.I do much better instinct shooting than I do if I try aiming the bow....I am shooting a Saxon recurve at this time that was made for me by Randy Dehler....best bow I have ever shot

Old 09-08-2006, 07:54 AM
Trailblazer

I went to a compound bow last year, a Hoyt Razor tech and love it. Fast, quiet and very accurate. Took a small buck with it. Still shoot the recurve for fun. I also shoot instinctive. Only accurate at 20 yards or less, Went to a compound and shoot tight groups at 30 yards. I was tired of passing up deer at 25 to 30 yards because It was too far.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:22 AM
Pro Rider

I use to hunt with a recurve. I suppose like all archery geeks I went through all phases of the sport, the high tech phase with compounds with all manner of gizmoronics to primitive hand built bows with hand knapped arrowheads. I get bored or tired with one type and try something else. I've got one recurve that I've kept which a dear friend helped me build which for some reason just all came together perfectly. Something about the wood and the balance and feel of that bow is just perfect. It shoots where I want without me thinking about it or even aiming. One of those cases where it truly was an extension of my hand and body. I'm so afraid that someday it will crack or warp or otherwise break though. I'm not shooting recurve or even a compound anymore I've moved into crossbows which are compound bows of a sort I guess.

Quick Reply: anyone here use a recurve bow?