Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Concealed carry handgun... any suggestions ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concealed carry handgun... any suggestions ???

Took my concealed carry class last Sunday... if things work out, I'll be doing my range qualifying this weekend...

... a few weeks later, I should get my permit...

... got a few hand guns now, but not really anything I'd really want to carry in the urban jungle... a 4" barreled stainless Ruger 357 will likely still be one of my favorites for trail hiking or riding...

I've also got a few auto's, but really prefer wheel guns, for this type of use... while looking at some of the super light S&W 38's, I came across a ultra light 32 H&R magnum... which interestingly holds 6 instead of 5 like the other pocket lights...

anyone got any expirience with these type of pieces & would like to discuss ???

I was actually looking for one of the Titanium 5 shot 44 Specials from Taurus, or the S&W 696, but all have been discontinued, so now I'm looking for other options...

Old 07-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

I reccomend anything that starts with .40.

Just curious, in Texas, if you qualify with a wheel, that's all you're licensed to carry. With the semi auto, you can carry either. Same there for you?

Old 07-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

no... you can even range qualify with a 22 if you want... ( if I had to qualify with an auto to carry one, I'd likely use one of my 9mm to qualify )... seems to be a large discrepency with the laws... was just e-chatting with someone from the east coast, & they don't even need a class or range qualify, only apply & go through the back ground checks ???

Old 07-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Depends on how concealed you want it to be. I've carried most of the 9mms and no matter how one packs them, they're bulky and uncomfortable. I've also carried Walther PPs and PPKs and Sig's P232. Anything is fine in weather that facilitates wearing a light jacket or coat.

I've followed the lead of some sheriff's deputies I've met and prefer the Kel-Tec .380 loaded with hollow points. No holster required, fits right in the watch pocket of a pair of Levis, no safety, DA only and on the range I've never had a mis-feed. Most confrontations on foot occur at very close range, which doesn't call for extreme accuracy and if I'm in a vehicle where range could be an issue there's always something more substantial at hand.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally posted by: newbeatle was just e-chatting with someone from the east coast, & they don't even need a class or range qualify, only apply & go through the back ground checks ???
That is not a comforting thought.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by: Scootergptx
I reccomend anything that starts with .40.

Just curious, in Texas, if you qualify with a wheel, that's all you're licensed to carry. With the semi auto, you can carry either. Same there for you?
It's the same here also. =]

Old 07-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

So... I've been looking at the small frame revolvers, untra lites / titanium's etc... as I had said, hoped to find a new 5 shot 44 special, but there is nothing around here... I'd like to spend in the $400 - $600 range... I did look at the 6 shot air weight 45 ACP, & the 8 shot 357, but they are both bigger & more expensive than I was hoping for...

... the S&W 38 SP lite weights were less than $400.00 & toy gun weight, with out cartridges... I'm seriously thinking about the 32 HR Magnum lite weight Smith... ( both because it's so lite, holds that extra round & of the guns in the small collection, I don't currently have an H&R magnum )...

Trending Topics

Old 07-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: newbeatle
no... you can even range qualify with a 22 if you want... ( if I had to qualify with an auto to carry one, I'd likely use one of my 9mm to qualify )... seems to be a large discrepency with the laws... was just e-chatting with someone from the east coast, & they don't even need a class or range qualify, only apply & go through the back ground checks ???
Correct....and permits have trippled in like the last 5 years in this area....However I kinda like the idea..

About two weeks ago a gaurd at a giant eagle here in pittsburgh unloaded his weapon at a shoplifter that was attacking him to break free....Both are now in court...

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

This is what I carry: Kimber RCP II

It's very small for a 1911 and is smoothed out (even has a groove site) so as not to snag on your clothes. Plus it is very accurate.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Those Kimbers sure are nice. A buddy of mine has one. They are also kinda expensive too

Quick Reply: Concealed carry handgun... any suggestions ???