Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

2006 Archery Bucks and Bulls

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 Archery Bucks and Bulls

Haven't seen the post for this yet so I figured I would start it. If you have a pic on your site page or a link to where your 2006 buck or bull can be seen post it here. Stories to go along with the pics would be great as well.

I just put my whitetail in my picture section....should be up after its approved.

Jeff

Old 09-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NICE RACK!!!

I'm going after mine in a couple of weeks. If I get one I'll put it on here.

'06 kfx 400
Full yoshi pipe
jet kit
K&N
Outerwears

Old 09-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the Trophy. I think I'd be tempted to put him on the wall!

Old 09-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Oh he's on the wall but only the horns, no head mount. I'm savin' the head mount for the 8 pt I saw 20 min after I shot the 10.

The 10 was quartering away by the time I got a shot since he busted me twice. I was watching a small 8 and must have bumped my arrow a little with my release and my first shot attempt resulted in the arrow falling off the string at full draw and us both in a stare down for several minutes. Then as he forgot about me I quick grabbed another arrow and on my 2nd attempt my back tag caught my safety strap which resulted in another stare down but this time at half draw.....that was a tough one to hold for a couple minutes. After he forgot about me the second time I had to let down and regain my composure. Now he's walking away and I just aim for the last rib and release. Third times a charm right. The sound I hear is like I hit the ground. Being totally pi$$ed cuz I think I missed I just hang up my bow and sit down. After 20 minutes I see another big buck and think no way he's coming back, then thinking about everthing that went wrong I didn't even grab my bow. As the buck get within 15 yards and through the brush I realize its a different buck. This one is a monsterous 8 point with tines well over 12" long and a very wide spread. So there he is nice and close and trading glances between me and where the 10 pt and some does ran after my shot. Eventually he gets spooked and takes off. So I get down and decide to call it a day, but when I go to get my arrow there isn't one but there is blood. Still remembering the sound after my shot I figure OK I grazed him and figure I better get the heck out of there for at least an hour before looking for more blood and figuring out the type of hit.

After a hour I came back found all but the first 5" of my arrow and the 10 pt within 40 yards. Still haven't found the first 5" of the arrow yet. All I know is the 8 pt would have been a head mount and I'm lucky I didn't shoot him thinking I missed the 10 pt. And if the darn leaves weren't still on the trees I would have seen the 10 go down. AND that I'm pretty darn lucky to get 3 draws on a buck like that.

Jeff

Old 10-01-2006, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Very, very nice. Bow starts here tomorrow, but it is supposed to 95 degrees with very high humidity. It isnt any fun huntin when your are sittin there sweating your tail off. Good luck and post more pics guys.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: haywoodjalikme
Oh he's on the wall but only the horns, no head mount. I'm savin' the head mount for the 8 pt I saw 20 min after I shot the 10.

The 10 was quartering away by the time I got a shot since he busted me twice. I was watching a small 8 and must have bumped my arrow a little with my release and my first shot attempt resulted in the arrow falling off the string at full draw and us both in a stare down for several minutes. Then as he forgot about me I quick grabbed another arrow and on my 2nd attempt my back tag caught my safety strap which resulted in another stare down but this time at half draw.....that was a tough one to hold for a couple minutes. After he forgot about me the second time I had to let down and regain my composure. Now he's walking away and I just aim for the last rib and release. Third times a charm right. The sound I hear is like I hit the ground. Being totally pi$$ed cuz I think I missed I just hang up my bow and sit down. After 20 minutes I see another big buck and think no way he's coming back, then thinking about everthing that went wrong I didn't even grab my bow. As the buck get within 15 yards and through the brush I realize its a different buck. This one is a monsterous 8 point with tines well over 12" long and a very wide spread. So there he is nice and close and trading glances between me and where the 10 pt and some does ran after my shot. Eventually he gets spooked and takes off. So I get down and decide to call it a day, but when I go to get my arrow there isn't one but there is blood. Still remembering the sound after my shot I figure OK I grazed him and figure I better get the heck out of there for at least an hour before looking for more blood and figuring out the type of hit.

After a hour I came back found all but the first 5" of my arrow and the 10 pt within 40 yards. Still haven't found the first 5" of the arrow yet. All I know is the 8 pt would have been a head mount and I'm lucky I didn't shoot him thinking I missed the 10 pt. And if the darn leaves weren't still on the trees I would have seen the 10 go down. AND that I'm pretty darn lucky to get 3 draws on a buck like that.

Jeff
Sounds like an exciting hunt! Have you ever thought about a european mount? They are pretty inexpensive, and look awsome. I wish now that I would have got the one I shot a few years ago mounted like that. Back then I didnt have the money to get a full mount, but a european mount I could have done. Congrats again on a great hunt.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

I've seen those European mounts but I'm not sure if the wife would go for that....lol

Anyways I bought a bunch of the 'Lohman deluxe horn mounting kits' like the sell at Bass Pro Shops really cheap. They have the antique brass skullcover and mounting your horns take 15-20 minutes. By far the fastest plaque horn mounting system I've seen.

The only thing is now I've used the 5 sets I bought so I guess I just have to go get the big 8 pt I saw and go for the shoulder mount.........well I can hope.

I keep telling my wife the last 3 bucks I shot were a 8pt, 9pt and a 10pt and all were shot on by 2nd time out each season. So I'm just setting myself up for disappointment...lol

Old 10-03-2006, 02:45 AM
Range Rover

I shot a spike bull elk a couple of evenings ago. It was the last day of the season and the very last few minutes of shooting light. I was happy I had invested in a quality sight that has very bright sight pins in low light conditions. I had stalked the bull from about 250 yards out. He was hanging out with a cow and a calf in a fairly open burn area. Took me 1 1/2 hours to get within about 45 yards of him and then he came in another 10 yards on his own when I shot. I say on his own but I had been cow calling him the last 15 minutes. He was barely quarting towards me. The arrow entered just behind the front shoulder, went through a lung and the guts with the tip of the broadhead touching the inside of the hide on the backside of one of his hind quarters. He went about 80 to 100 yards and then fell over and then rolled about 20 feet down the hill. When the arrow first hit him he staggered and walked away. He was the first bull I'd ever shot with an arrow that didn't take off running. We didn't find a drop of blood between where he was shot and where he fell.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

Great story and lots of great pics, I had the same thing happen with a whitetail last year as he turned just as I shot with the arrow exiting through his guts. The arrow lay on the ground just covered with fat and smelling of guts. I let him lay for several hours but luckily still caught the lungs because he was still as a board when I found him 3 hours later only 75 yards from where I shot him. There was also not a single drop of blood like yours.

Jeff