Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Who has tracks for there 4x4,and what kind of quad do they run them on

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who has tracks for there 4x4,and what kind of quad do they run them on

just kind of wondering ,looking at getting a 4x4 and want a set of tracks ,have done some research on the different brands ,so what do you guys have .?

Old 01-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of two guys (I don't know them very well mind you) that have them on. One has an H1, the other a 660 Grizzley. In my view, you need a big engine as you loose about 40% of your speed. In Alaska they were handy as can be and the guy used it over a snowmobile even. He didn't set any speed records, but still got up to 35, maybe 40 mph. I know there are several different kinds of tracks, and they make a big difference. But, get an ATV with strong axles, and a good frame. Arctic Cat, Yamaha, and Suzuki would be my choices. Polaris would be up there too, but the way there 4x4 engages wouldn't be good for tracks.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

thanks Catterman ,I saw some at the power sports expo ,they were the lightest i have yet seen ,I was thinking of aset up like the 800 outey with tracks ,for playing in the snow and such,still up in the air yet but getting ideas ,

Old 01-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

We put the polaris brand tracks on a sp 800 and sp 500 efi last year for show. The stock tires are 26" and the drive cog on the tracks were 18". If my math is correct the 18" should gear the top speed from 65mph down to 45mph.

The 800 efi had plenty of power and we sold about 4 sets last year in MN. We have also put the new mat tracks on a griz 700 efi and kimpex tacks on a rhino 660. All had plenty of power. Polaris and kimpex are light but use hyfax and rated for snow use only. I believe mattracks are rated for mud and hard surfaces.

I personally havent seen any problems or complaints. I came close to purchasing a set myself. They worked the best on the polaris 800.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:17 AM
Pro Rider

I think Can-Am has an actual brand or tracks they make or endorse for their machines.

I've seen tracks on a few machines and they really seem to work well. Make going over soft ground like mud and marshy type ground effortless. They went where you simply couldn't take a wheeled ATV without getting stuck. Did great in the snow too. Like a big ol snow mobile or one of those snow cat deals.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

yea saw a video of aguy out inthe rockies drives a aTV with tracks up to a cabin half covered with snowhe stepped off of the machine and went up to his arm pits in the powdery snow ,
I'd say that was floatation .talked to aalocal guy that said he could drive across cattail bogs .

Old 01-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

A buddy of ours has a set of tracks on his Polaris 700. He seems to like them, especialy in snow.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
I think Can-Am has an actual brand or tracks they make or endorse for their machines.
q]

Yes they do. I was at Quad Fest this past summer and they had a Can-Am 800 there with the tracks on it. They went and took it through the mud pit and it handled it very well. I was surprised they took it through, it was a brand new machine that had been sitting on the showroom. But I guess the best way to sell an ATV is to show what it can do.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

I know a guy who has a set on his 650 brute.He's had them for 2 years and loves them.Not sure on the brand,but I know they came from Quebec.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Trailblazer

yes you can loose 40-50% of top end due to gear ratios on some tracks. I have a set of Traxions on the way and supposedly you only loose 10 % with these, not that I am a speed demond it is just the gasoline consumption I am concerned with as I travel long distances and want to carry as little as possible....

Quick Reply: Who has tracks for there 4x4,and what kind of quad do they run them on