Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Best Model in .270 for Deer Hunting - Opinion Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Model in .270 for Deer Hunting - Opinion Please

Your endorsement of the 17 HMR echos what others have said bout this round. Guess I'm going to have to get one in some kind of rifle. Probably go with the Contender as I really like that little carbine. I too have been going more and more to the SS equipment with plastic stocks of one kind or another. Still like the looks and feel of the traditional blue and wood rifle but find I flinch less when I bump a plastic stock against a rock or whatever. Have a couple of old Winchesters that I carried in a saddle boot for years that look like they were drug down a gravel road for many miles but they still shoot good.

Didn't know that TC had sold out. Hope it's not another S&W type thing. Don't know if that company will ever get back to quality equipment.

Really don't see a great advantage to having the Encore in RF calibers. Unless a person is putting a heavy bbl on the rifle it would seem to me the Contender would do the job just fine. If a heavy barrel is wanted I would think a bolt gun would be indicated if extreme accuracy is the goal. Not to say the Encore is not an accurate rifle but to date I have never had a break open rifle that locked up as solid as a properly set up bolt gun. This may or may not hold true with the rimfires, can't really voice much of an opinion on this as I have never shot RF competition nor owned a competition grade RF rifle.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the falling block action of the Ruger No.1......in 257 weatherby.....Good shot on the buck, those kinds of shots and action make it what its worth...../

Old 03-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

My brother-in-law has a Ruger #1 in '06 that he just loves. Nice rifle and easy to shoot but just doesn't fit me right. One of the best generally available single shots around IMO. His #1 shoots 165 grain hard cast bullets into 1" at 100 yards all day long. Only trouble is he gets his bullets off my shelf. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like your brother in-law has found something that works for him too !!LOL!!

Old 03-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

He's just a few months older than our oldest kid and spent a lot of time with us shooting and hunting. Turned out to be a good man so I really don't begrudge him getting into the cast bullets. I have noticed a load or two of firewood for the fireplace showing up from time to time and he has ready access to wood so it all kind of works out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

This months "Shooting Times" has an article about Perry Ohio....and the Springfield Armory...

Old 04-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Trailblazer

Getting back to the original question I would say the TC Pro Hunter makes a good choice in 270. I have the PH and love mine. I have a turkey barrel, 20 gauge rifled shotgun barrel, 243 and muzzle loader all for it. One of the benefits is that no matter which barrel I'm using I have the same feel and consistancy in trigger pull and such. IMO this gives me a little advantage for tough shots because I'm always practicing with the same setup just a different bullet type, depending on the barrel. I want to get the new Federal 338 barrel for it next.
Scopes are just as important as the gun if not more. Put a great scope on an average gun and you can turn it into a shooter with practice. Put a cheap scope on a great gun and, well, let us just say you can not hit what you can't see. Looking through glass in bright aylight is not the way to decide on scopes. The first few minutes and last minutes of daylight is where the boys are separated form the men. Make sure you get a quality scope and whatever you get make sure you enjoy it.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Got to agree that good glass is important if you want to use it. It has been my experience, however, that deer can be taken at any time of the day. As far as separating the men from the boys, well I just don't think a few minutes of dim light is going to make much difference in that area.

As to the original question about the .270. Take a look at the Savage rifles if you want a pure shooter with what could well be the best trigger system currently on the market. Crisp and smooth with a remarkable lock time. Cost is very reasonable and their out of the box accuracy is way better than most of the stuff on the market. JMO but based on the past couple years observation.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Ten! Most of our super bucks are taken at low dusk or early dawn,after the season has been on for a while. Good clear definition is very important down south,were we have extreme pressure for 71 days....

Old 04-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Different areas make for different types of hunting for sure. I have had the experience of having a good animal show up when light levels are low and good binoculars were needed to really get a good look. It's a personal preference to not shoot when I can not make out distant objects with the unaided eye. I really need to know where that bullet may end up if I miss or the bullet is a through and through. I can see where if a person is in an area where they know for sure what there backstop is and that nothing or no one is possibly going to wander into that zone then it could be reasonable to shoot in low light conditions. I have just never encountered that situation. Like I say, personal preference probably left over from the way I was taught and nothing against accepted practices.

Quick Reply: Best Model in .270 for Deer Hunting - Opinion Please