Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Hunting from an ATV

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hunting from an ATV

Well I guess if you hunt a "man made" food plot and it's a "high fence" hunt, then ride all you want. Atvs should stay on designated trails. And yes I said "trails" and "designated." Stay out of the forest and not go behind the gates if the sign says "no motorized vehicles." Yea right theres always going to be that one person who has to ride his atv in just because he has one. Then you get the trash, then the vandles, and then what do you get??? The whole thing is shut down, and why??? Because the atv made it to easy for all of this to happen. Yes I do ride where I am supposed to. But no matter what time of year or the season I will only ride on "legal ground."

DeeDawg......Come out west and see if your 500 can handle the terrain. I'm guessing that where you hunt it's open brush country and pretty flat. Thats just a guess now!!!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Well I guess if you hunt a "man made" food plot and it's a "high fence" hunt, then ride all you want</end quote></div>

--that's an impressive list of strawmen in leiu of a real argument. Considering not a thing of which you listed has ANY bearing whatsoever on what we're talking about. Congrats, that wouldn't have even passed muster in a high school debate class...................

Since that is a worthless amount of bandwidth to accomplish nothing, it's not worth a reply directly other than to mock the childish attempt at debate among other people obviously better equipped with facts.

as for the 'manly men packing whole elk out on their back' I'll trade anyone without handicapped plates on their trucks my knees for theirs when I go hunting so I can be all manly man too.

We're not amish- just because it's harder doesn't mean it's better. Except to stoke one's ego. I'm only too happy to use gunpowder instead of sharp sticks to kill an animal too. So unless you're strapping flint to a stick with animal gut to hunt with- talk of some sense of 'purity' in the experience is at best laughable.

You run on and feel good about hoofing an elk off a mountain- I'll have mine out hours faster and fresher with a quad, back at home eating still bleeding backstrap while you're digging shoulder straps out of your flesh.............cause that's better you know............

Old 05-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Blah blah blah blah blah. Poor me. Blah blah blah (sniffle) blah blah blah (cry cry cry) Blah blah blah. Gun powder blah blah blah blah. Amish blah blah blah blah blah. Animal gut blah blah blah blah blah. Flint blah blah blah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here in Alaska it helps to have a means to get where you want to start your hunt and depending on how far out you wish to go you need some form of recreation vehicle(airplane,boat,ORV,even horses).In this great state there are few regulations on where you can travel but some do exist in parts.
I use my ATV's to get me closer to where I want to hunt and to assist in retrieveing game from the field.Also great way to haul in more supplies for a better base camp. I see many every year that cruise the easy trails with there rifle strapped to there machine with their head whipping back and forth doing what they call moose hunting. Not my cup o' tea but to each his own. Its getting harder every year to get away from others while hunting on atv's but it still can be done with alot of winching and working at it. This year I have a flyout booked with my hunting partner first of September and other people will NOT be an issue. 15 or 16 hour drive north of Anchorage to Coldfoot then 130 miles west via a Beaver on floats to a water hole just big enough to land and take off loaded in the Brookes Range. Caribou/Grizzly and Black bear/Wolf on the agenda.Up here you play and you pay($2600.00 each way for bush flight) but who's to put a limit on more life experiences huh?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Blah blah blah blah blah. Poor me. Blah blah blah (sniffle) blah blah blah (cry cry cry) Blah blah blah. Gun powder blah blah blah blah. Amish blah blah blah blah blah. Animal gut blah blah blah blah blah. Flint blah blah blah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </end quote></div>

--Well, that about sums up the intellectual ability there, huh? All the brain power of a six year old. Bet your mom's real proud........

And here we see the result of someone not having anything worthwhile to say. When you can't grasp an issue, much less intelligently debate it- just rely on that sort of 2 year old act.

It's embarrassing really. Come to a site to talk to adults, and that's what you find..........retarded people with access to the internet.

Well back to topic for those with a vocabulary and an IQ larger than their shoe size----

Old 05-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

Well said by TheSollyLama. We are all not in the shape we were at 20 years old. I'm 52 now and get tired just thinking of what I was once able to. Back to the impact of atv's. I have land in New York State and access to 1,500 acres of my neighbors property. Been riding these trails for 6 years spring, summer, and fall, and the only impact I see are the tire tracks that wear down the weeds and vegetation. If I miss a section of trail for a month, it's grown back.There must be an equal balance between the tree hugging environmentalists and the recreational atv rider. And by the way, I see more grouse, squirrel, turkey, and deer on my atv on one loop of the trail then I would if I had walked all day. Most of the time the deer stop and watch as I drive by.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATV's were built to extend your outdoor pleasure.we live in a time society today.Most people don't have time to back pack meat out of the hills.I have a hand made premitive bow that I used to shoot quiet well.instinct shooter.But the firearm was invented by some one to help us with time.Get the picture?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Trailblazer

i dont see a problem with it every 1 of my friends says its illegal but its not

Old 06-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in Michigan you can use a quad to haul a deer or bear out to the nearset road. If you aren't a paraplegic, that's about all you can legally do as far as quads and hunting goes. I think it's too restrictive. There are good and bad ATVers, hunters, and any other group of people. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone. A bunch of Democrats have been quietly trying to outlaw quads, dirt-bikes, and snowmobiles, on almost all public lands. That's just another way to help them ban hunting and gun ownership. The biggest threat we face is them, and our fellow riders who break the law. I'm not sure who's worse, but I think we're to blame for most of our problems. If you're old enough to vote, but don't, you're part of the problem too. We need to elect people who want to let everyone enjoy the outdoors.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

Here in Michigan you can use a quad to haul a deer or bear out to the nearset road. If you aren't a paraplegic, that's about all you can legally do as far as quads and hunting goes. I think it's too restrictive. There are good and bad ATVers, hunters, and any other group of people. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone. A bunch of Democrats have been quietly trying to outlaw quads, dirt-bikes, and snowmobiles, on almost all public lands. That's just another way to help them ban hunting and gun ownership. The biggest threat we face is them, and our fellow riders who break the law. I'm not sure who's worse, but I think we're to blame for most of our problems. If you're old enough to vote, but don't, you're part of the problem too. We need to elect people who want to let everyone enjoy the outdoors.</end quote></div>

You are correct in a lot of ways, but I think one of the problems is that even the Republicans are moving left and are allowing our rights to be taken away.

Quick Reply: Hunting from an ATV