Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Log sleds

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009 | 04:01 PM
Range Rover
Default Log sleds

i would say 4' is plenty long i cant remember right off how long they are. It was +3C here today the snow has melted some, hopefully it goes back below freezing soon.

Old 01-24-2009 | 03:58 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Log sleds

vinny,

I have started building my log sleds. I am using a 2x6 laminated between two pieces of 3/4" plywood. Unfortunately, the 2x6 is not wide enough to get the height needed for the front tip of the runner but I glued and doweled a second small 12" piece of 2x6 on top of the front end of the runner to get the height needed for the tip. Once it is shaped and then glued and screwed together between the 2 pieces of plywood, I think that it should be OK. I could have used a 2x12 to get the height needed for the tip but there would have been too much waste on the rest of the board, so I went with the glued on second piece.

The cross bunk is made up of 3 pieces of 2x6 with 2 pieces of 3x4" plywood glued and nailed together. It is sort of like a big mother of a door or window header that turns out to be 5 1/2 inches tall by 6" wide and 41" long. Should be plenty of muscle to hold the logs. I plan to lay another piece of 2x8 accross the top on the flat to finish the bunk. It will hang over the ends of the lower piece and I will drill holes in each end to receive the horns.

The final hurdle is finding the teflon strips for the bottom of the runners. I have looked around here at the stores and searched all over the internet but can't find a source for the teflon. I figure that I need at least 1/4" thick material, 3" wide and about 5 or 6 feet in length for each of the 4 runners. So 24 feet should do it. Any help or suggestions as to where I could buy some of this material would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Old 01-26-2009 | 12:04 PM
Range Rover
Default Log sleds

sounds like your sleds are comming along good. I would like to see some pics when you have them done. As for the teflon i just did a search and found a few manufactures i don't know how much the cost but you can get it in 48"x48" or 48" x 60" sheet and cut it in a band saw or table saw to size should get enough for 14-15 runners allowing for your saw cut waste. I guess you could try and sell what you don't need. I expect the sheet to be a few hundred dollars, since it cost about $80 here to buy 4 strips.
If you can't find the teflon the metal from those wagon wheels will do the trick.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.nationwideplastics.net/plastics/teflon/
">http://www.nationwideplastics....lastics/teflon/
</a>

http://ptfe-sheets.com/teflon-sheets-virgin-grade.htm (price list on this one .25" 48x48 $1472..... ouch but .375" 12"x48" ks-2388A $282.90, .50" 12"x48" ks-2388A $373.18 contact info below.

K-mac Plastics & Distribution
Kmac/TWS
3821 Clay Ave SW
Wyoming, Michigan 49548
616-406-0671 Main
616-406-0682 fax
8:30 AM-5:30 PM EST
5:30 AM - 2:30 PM PST
7:30 AM - 4:30 PM CST
6:30 AM - 3:30 PM MST

hope this helps

Old 01-26-2009 | 11:37 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Log sleds

I'll have to see if I can borrow the bride's digital camera and put up some photos. Talked to a friend today that welds and tried to get him to make up the front angle iron hitch assembly. He suggested round or square tubing even though I had all ready picked up the angle iron at Home Depot. I am thinking that I may attach the angle iron inside the front runners instead of outside. My thought was that there would be less stress on the runner tips that way. What do you think? Either way, how do you get the angle iron attached to the threaded rod? I assume that you cut away one leg of the angle iron for a short distance and bend it at an angle, drill a hole and fasten it with a nut on the end of the rod. I did finally find a plastic shop online that will make up runners. For 1/4" by 2 3/4" by 6' the cost is $24.50 each, for 3/8" by 2 3/4" by 6 feet the cost is $33.00. Shipping from Reno would be additonal. That sure seems pricey. That makes the plastic $100 to $150 shipped. I probably have that much into all of the stock that I have bought so far. Maybe I'll just steal the wifes teflon cutting board and make strips out of it. LOL Thats it for now, keep the cards and letters coming.

Old 01-27-2009 | 01:11 AM
Trailblazer
Default Log sleds

For any sort of odd materials, I always go to McMaster-Carr.
McMaster-Carr

They've got a lot of choices for sheets and strips.

They have all sorts of odd shapes like PTFE angle-bars, too.

Old 01-27-2009 | 02:16 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Log sleds

thanks for the heads up. I looked at their stuff and it is also very pricey. It would be cheaper to leave the runners unlined and rebuild them when they wear out. A friend of mine suggested buying some old snow skis at a thrift shop and screwing them to the bottom. That may end up being much cheaper than trying to purchase 1/8" or 1/4" teflon strips.

Old 01-27-2009 | 08:14 AM
Range Rover
Default Log sleds

you are right about the angle you cut out a piece from the top here is a sketch from memory http://www.flickr.com/photos/s...et-72157601133180385/

I forgot to write in that you want a washer between the runner and the angle iron. The piece of pipe that covers the rod between the runners prevents the tips from bending inward and I assume th angle iron on the outside prevents from moving outward. Mine are outside. On my newer sled I have made the hitch from square tubing but it bent when I hit a stump. I attaches similar to the angle iron, there is a piece of round stock welded in the end of the tubeing with a flat piece of steel with a hole for the rod welded to it.
That teflon is pricey in your area how about that wagon wheel steel you mentioned, my father used steel for about 15yrs worked great.

Old 01-30-2009 | 09:33 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Log sleds

Well, both sleds are built and the A frame for the front sled is welded and attached. My welder friend welded the angle iron directly to the pipe that connects the runners. At the front he welded a tie rod end that has a hole in it with a round piece that swivels around inside. It allows the inner piece to rock front to back and side to side. Should allow for a lot of movement between the sled and the bike. He races cars for fun and does a lot of his own work. I still want to put the valve spring piece in there somewhere because I think it will absorb a lot of the jolt when you first take off with a load of wood.

Started priming the sleds with an oil based primer and will hopefully get them completely painted this weekend. I am thinking of black to match my bike, but also considered a woodland camo pattern for fun. Still not sure how I will connect the two sleds together. My welder friend will probably want to use more tie rod ends. LOL May just build another angle iron triangular frame like on the front sled or maybe the T shape that you describe.

If the sun comes out, I may drag them outside and try to take some digital photos and then figure out how to upload them to the site.

Old 02-01-2009 | 08:16 AM
Range Rover
Default Log sleds

sounds good, i think i forgot to mention about the swivil this is good feature should your sled tip over your bike should stay upright. Well thats what happened to me one time I took a corner too fast with a full load and the sled rolled.
As for the rear sled connection I would advise against an "A" type like the front I tried that for a while and found it would bind while turning so I took the grinder to it lol and put the chains back. Eventually i'm gonna put the "T" type on there which is just a piece welded to the middle of the cross pipe with a short 6"-8" brace on each side.
We used our 2 sets yesterday for 8hrs hauling conditions were the best in years I took a few pics but when I left home last night i forgot the camera.

Old 02-01-2009 | 11:32 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Log sleds

I assume that you must have to put another cross member between the back runners of the front sled in order to attach the "T" from the rear sled.

Just got a call from my primitive camping buddy that the last snow/rain storm that we had on Wednesday has done a number on my canvas tent flys at primitive camp. I have a white canvas 10' x 12' wall tent set up with 2 10' x 12' canvas flys on the front. Even tho the two flys were staked right to the ground, the weight of the snow and then ice has ripped them from the ridge pole. Guess I will head up to camp and start shoveling. More snow expected on Tuesday. A few beers, some venison over the open fire. Life is good!!

Quick Reply: Log sleds