Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Possum

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possum

Muzzy tip..

Old 05-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice shoot, how do they taste, never had one before.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Couldn't tell you. I've heard of people eating them before, but I never tried it. This guy was a varmint, likes to rip holes in my hen house and steal the eggs. One of the possum holes lead to an all out assault on my hens, as a family of racoons invaded the hen house and made off with 9 of my hens. I cuaght 4 of the racoons, the first one was huge, about 40 pds!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not eat one either,I live in Wisconsin and we do alot of deer hunting up here. But their is a lot of people that eat racoons up here. Sorry to here that they are killing your hens.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Well I think I got all the local racoons, as I haven't seen or caught any in months. They must of had only 4 of them in the family. I use canine lure around the traps, and bait traps with different kind of meats. Also redid entire hen pen area, so no animal can get in ever again.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

That is sweet. Hate rodents. Love to see-em dead. Added fun when you can do it with the bow.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

Here in MN raccoons and possume have a season. What a joke. I guess crow does as well. But then again the "rules" are made in a big city.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

I will second the vote for not liking rodents. I keep having to deal with a couple of black bear that seem to like to tear into my tool shed at my cabin. There is no food in there at all just shovels, axes, saws and such. Heck maybe ole smokey the bear is looking for tools!

I have shot two of them and thought I had the problem fixed. Nope still there and taring things up. Got to be pretty dumb becasue 15 feet away is the cabin and it HAS food in it!

I can not trap them ans I had tried pepper spray of several flavors, portable electric fences and the only thing that seems to work is lead. at least for a little while. Last fall the one I shot was just over 5ft and about 200lbs. They still love to do what I call "hi marking" that is stand on the ground on their hind legs and reach as high as they can on the corner and bite off the biggest chunk of wood they can. Besides scratching the heck out of stuff and ripping planks off.

I will add that my rodents do make some excellent sausage! I can not say the same for a possum or a raccoon.

SJ

Old 07-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer

I fed a baby possum to my Redtail Boa the other day. He loved it! Actually it was a road kill in front of my house and I had to get rid of it. Freekin snakes will eat almost anything! Taste just like ... Rat.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One time I got a possum with my quad. I always swerve for animals. It was crossing the road a little to slow and... wham. Then I turned around and hit it again. Wham. One dead possum. Some people say Polaris quads are too heavy. I say that depends on what you're doing. It helps when you're making roadkill.

Quick Reply: Possum