Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

gun transporting

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gun transporting

Hey All,

new to atv's, need to know which is better, a scabbard type or gun rack to carry my gun(s) on the quad, I have a foreman 450.......thanks for any & all suggestions, also where is the best place to obtain them....

Old 11-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

They both work but I prefer the scabbard style as I go on trails that have very close tree tolerances on each side barely wide enough for the quad itself therefore not damaging the rifle. I buy all my stuff at http://rockymountainatv.com some of the best deals and a great return policy. Prob the best on the web!

Old 11-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the response! I will definately look up rocky mountain on the web, thanks

Old 11-10-2009, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

I use a pair of Kolpin Gear Grips on the front rack. I generally put the rifle in a padded case and then clamp it in the grips. If it is my AK or another "beater" rifle I just but it in the grips bare.

I tried a gun boot but found it interfered too much with getting on and off the ATV. The gun boot extended down into the foot well and just seemed to be in the way of my foot and leg when I was riding or getting on or off the machine. I have a smaller ATV it might not be an issue with a larger machine.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

I have both and use both. I guess it depends on what you are carrying the gun for and how clean you want it to stay.

I have the V shaped grips on my handlebars that make the gun easy to access. I have shot several bears with a quick grab and a quick shot. But the downside is the gunand scope are exposed to rain, mud, tree branches etc.

The scabbard type protects the gun much more than the V clamps but it can me harder to get quick access to the gun.

I also use a backpack made by Nimrod Packs (nimrodpacks.com) that has a scabbard attachment for a fanny pack day pack. It takes a little getting used to but I find it a middle area between the hard ATV mounted scabbard and the V-shaped handlebar mounts. The gun can be easily accessed for a quick shot and protects the gun. It takes some getting used to though to be able to use it.

If I am hunting an area I am unfamilair with I usually carry the 12ga shotgun on the handlebars, the 45ACP on a chest holster and the 300 winMag in the backpack scabbard. Leaves hands free to drive the machine, and access the binocs when needed.

Hope this helps

SJ

Old 11-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

I guess it depends what kinda atv ur putting it on. I would recommend a scabbard for a larger atv for for a smaller one i would go with the rack.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider

a scabbard are the full plastic case correct

Old 09-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks all for the helpful comments!!!!!! I have purchased a scabbard style & am quite happy with it......

Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just becareful with scabbard type if you have scope on gun sometimes if gun barral is shorter than the molded plastic scabbard the scope will bottom out before barrel touches in end and this will leave scope bottom out and could cause weight of gun to bounce scope off.....IMO the scabbard got to be an perfect fit to the gun and scope....... which is hard to find that IMO. Good Luck with your chioce and hunting season.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Papa,

You make an excellent point & I had not taken that into consideration, I will definately double check my set up for that potential problem.

thanks again, Dave

Quick Reply: gun transporting