Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Heavy towing with a Kodiak or other ATVs...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great posts guys! I don't know about you, but I love seeing how we are all working our quads, some of you guys have really pulled some large loads, that's awesome!

Keep 'em coming!

Mike

Old 06-07-2001, 02:29 AM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]Text
Just remembered a couple of other things I have towed
I Push started our 35 horsepower diesel tractor a few times I suppose it weight around 4 tonne geez I felt the weight when my misses let out the clutch
But the hardest thing i have towed was a dead cow I dragged across the paddock one day man was that a job for the bike!!

Old 06-07-2001, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

hey dave350

ya the first other NZ'er i seen here

good to see ya

a 35hp tractor weighing 4 tonne (4000kg)........is a FAT tractor......lol
....obviously been on good pasture [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

......i remeber pulling a dead 200x atc out on a trail ride we had once (just so happened i had the only 4x4)

what a mission......remeber beeing completely bogged in silt on a river crossing unable to move......hooking the old polaris 250 up and pulling me......and i was pulling the atc.....my brother got that much wheelspin......he plasted me in mud.........so i just got off and watched.......he pulled both of us out!......could believe it......

ps 1 short ton = 2000pounds
1 long ton = 2240 pounds (what is short and long?!)

1 ton = 1.2tonnes
(man skippys farm technical manuals seems to confuse me more)

ride on

pudding

Old 06-07-2001, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nice stories guys.

Old 06-07-2001, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

My mate next door has got a Suzuki King Quad. One day we took our
girlfriends for a ride down to the beach and up the dunes ( dont know why but my bike was a lot better climber even when he had his in diff lock (maybe my bike is lighter or has more torque dont know why ) any way we came to a river and we decided to have a play he went a lot deeper than I did as his intake is a lot higher any way he got a bit game and drowned it we didnt really know what to do so we pulled the sparkplug out and turned it over got rid of all the water but she still wouldnt start so I hitched it up and attempted to tow it down the beach but man I could not get started on the sand so three of us pushed and once I got started we were away but man did the bike struggle three of us on it towing another bike with my mate on it and then he hooked a high gear and tried to jump start it we nearly stopped but we kept going for about two kilometres and it finally started and we were off it was a cool day we rode for hours. (just thought I would share this story)

Old 06-07-2001, 10:57 PM
Range Rover

Dave350cc,
Taranaki is in New Zealand, right? Wow is atv riding pretty popular there and are all kinds of atvs available where you live?
GrizzlyMichael your Grizz should be able to pull alot-have you had a chance to try it out towing? My bro-in-law's dad has a Grizz and he can smoke all of out utility atvs in a drag race easy. Lot's of power to spare! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2001, 03:26 AM
Trailblazer

Hows it going yeah I live in Newzealand there is some great places to ride especially as I live on a farm. I used to be in to motocross in a big way ( two wheeler) but I had to give up because of injury so now I just ride my old crapper big bear its good fun I want to go on a trail ride soon. Most bikes are available here in NZ but we are quite a way behing you guys the new Kawasaki twin cylinder quad is just coming out now ( if I could afford it I would get one for sure ) catch ya later

P.s I have been informed that I completely blew the weight (not on purpose) of the tractor I push started it is nearer one and a half tonne sorry

Old 06-09-2001, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

i am impressed this is the first disscussion with any indepth discussion about NZ

i am in NZ as well in Christchurch (south island)

i spent most of my life in the north island

dave350cc is close to some of the best riding i have ever done (depends on what you call close though).......national park around the edmond hillary outdoor persuits centre is awesome

i remeber going through there when i was still at school......took us 6 hours to get there...to ride for a day and a half

also remeber ruafucitu (umm....major spelling problems)........about 30min south of rotorua.....was an organised trail with 6-700 bikes......(did it in 96)

my club in gisborne used to ride in morere....south of gisborne, riding in forest....pushing in awesome tracks which were like circuits....there was lots of mud.....and neither sport of utlility atv had an advantage

here down south

i have riden in north canterbury..........alexandra......south otago, north southland and western southland on many ocations.......mainly organised trails......up to 350 bikes

this hobby to me grew completely out of farming.......which accounts for 99% of NZ atv sales

but the sport side of off road motorbikes is the fastest growning part of the industry in NZ

in gisborne.....my home town was 6 warriors.....same amount of blasters./....one banshee....which never sold...a 200x atc and my 250x and 2 300ex......of that the ex's are gone......and there ain't much else left

i still have the 250x......although it now lives 900km from gisborne

the sport atvs are harder to come by......i get VERY weird looks when you turn up to rides......in canterbury the sport has a big following but in southland......its the fastest growing sport......in 99 i went on a ride......and there was only three other sport atv.......a demo polaris.....the dealers personal polaris and a blaster and me.....out of 350 bikes......and you look funny when you make the ride look so easy......people ask whats in that bike.......often not believing its only a 250 4 stroke.....

i am told the best riding is on the west coast of the south island......and i still haven't been there.......ya can ride for miles.......or in a rain......basically get no where......mud being the fun factor there

my 350x is one of 3 in our club (from what i can gather), and we still race a 3 wheeler class in all our race events......fieldign up to 7 bikes (rest are 250r)......looks like this year......and man this class of bike is great fun

to my knowledge there is only one factory sponsored rider in NZ....and thats only a rumour.....

NZ is interesting in ......riding is great........but have to be careful about riding in forests.....tresspassing (when you were meaning too).....we experience the riding pains you guys do........just not at the same time and the same scale....here atc's were never outlawed......infact we got a boat or two of atc's after they couldn't sell them in the states......and i do believe my 250sx was one of those (1987 ones were apparently sold as late as 1990)

blah blah blah

pudding

ps. heard of quadzilla?and its rider......a local guy in my club....never met him......but heard so much about him....quadzilla is a lt500 with a 1300cc road bike motor and turbo off a nissan skyline bolted to it (tarret to3 or something)....now i had a great link on this topic.....but for the life of me can't find it

Old 06-12-2001, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer

Cool post HillHound - I use my SP500 and Prairie 400 to tow around my 8x10 Triton trailer, loaded with mostly garden equipment, bushes, stones etc.

Makes you wonder what those "Sport" quad guys were thinking when they bought their ATV [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2001, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

Kirk I know what you mean with the sport atvs! And speaking of pulling heavy loads-nice F250 you got there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ! P.S. Diesel or what engine you got in that? How much does you Triton trailer weigh?
later

Quick Reply: Heavy towing with a Kodiak or other ATVs...