Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Dog Rider

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the best setup for having a dog ride with you? Id like to bring my Lab with me and have him sitting on the back. I was thinking about making a little something out of wood but if there is something made specifically for this purpose I would seriously consider buying it. Thanks...

Old 05-01-2002, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Cabella makes a rear rack that fits into the hitch for a pet porter. What i dont like abou it is that if you are doing alot of UP and Down, like crossing small (2 feet or so) streams...the rack on the back would catch the bank that you just went over. Would be nice on flat ground or slopes.

I am rigging a setup on the rear rack of the atv to hold the pet porter. It is the safest for the dog and i can use it as a back rest too. Whatever you come up with, please share...never know, i might have to change what i am doing!

BAD thing about my setup, is that the dog has to be lifted up into the porter. Not real bad right now, but he is only a couple of months old. I cant imagine trying to get him into it when he is full grown. Might just make him keep up with the leash!!! Can dogs run 50+ mph? just kidding.

Jonathan

Old 05-02-2002, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

My late dog "Gidget" used to ride with me all the time. She was a Beagle mix so she was small enough to just ride on the seat. She rode everything from a Mojave 250 to a 250R. Since you have racks on your quad, just cover a 1/2" piece of plywood with carpet and then fasten it to the rear rack. This will give the dog something to grip as well as cushion the ride. I have seen this done on motorcycle gas tanks also.

Old 05-06-2002, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

"Can dogs run 50+ mph? "
It depends if you have a yamaha dog or a polaris dog! har de har har har

Old 05-12-2002, 04:07 AM
Range Rover

Cose,
Maybe you should think about a small trailer for the dog ? I have a wooden box mounted on the rear rack of our Rubicon that our beagle rides in, I think a lab would be a bit big to have on the rack .
Darrin

Old 05-12-2002, 07:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yea Darrin I think you may be right. I might look into a trailer. I just can see him falling off and hurting himself big time. Im having a hecht of a time getting him up on the rack. One thing for sure Ill do something. The critter loves woods and water and I feel bad when I don't take em. Thanks for the comebacks and Info everybody.....

Old 05-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi there,

It's so nice to see there's dog lovers out there. I used to take my old schnauzer with me in a big box that was bungied to the front rack. It worked pretty well until going down a steep , rocky hill she bounced out and tumbled down the hill. Scared me to death. She was ok but I realized the box was invincible. (Shje only weighed 20 #'s) Another schnauzer of mine will jump out of the box at 20 mph if she sees a rabbit. I have ridden with a leash attached to her collar and then wrapped around my arm but it isnt very comfortable. I'm going to look into the pet porter thing. Whenever little Lynzie runs off for an outing unsupervised I can always get her back if she hears the 4 wheeler. It draws her like a magnet! Doga love atvs too.

Cher

Old 05-30-2002, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

I used to ride my 89 big bear with my 120lb rottweiler on the seat with me, he'd but his head on my lap and look around and smell the air. Was smart enough to know not to jump off at 45mph. He loved it. He died on me at 8 years old. He was the only one that would do that. Well I figure i'll have to train the dog I will be getting next, but I like the idea of a flat platform that attaches to the back rack. That should work fine.

Old 05-30-2002, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi again,

Frogman said there was a pet porter in Cabella's catalog but I have looked and can't find anything like it. If anyone can ellaborate on this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2002, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, it is a pet carrier. It mounts to the rear hitch and will hold a pet porter. The pet porter you can get from Walmart...etc.

Hope that helps

Jonathan

Quick Reply: Dog Rider