Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

DEER AND DEER HUNTING IN YOUR STATE. POLL

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Hunters,

I think it would be great to have information about Deer and Deer hunting in your State. How do you hunt, deer per square miles, age vs racks, kind of territory, rules etc.

I heard that a 2 1/2 year old deer can have be a 12 pts in Sask. Canada ! Can this be true ? Here in Quebec, the deer has to be at least 5-6 year old.

Quebec deer hunting is mostly done in a tree stan because we can feed them with apples, minerals, corn etc. Deers get heavy quite quickly I think (I shot a 3 1/2 year old deer that weight 220 pounds without the interior) but racks don't get big quickly. There is about 150,000 deers in province of Quebec + 125,000 only in Anticosti Island only. Many Americans go hunting in that Island. % of success is between 15-35% depending of the year. We had a very bad year last year.

Anyway, this is a start I guess...

Old 08-09-2002, 12:30 AM
Range Rover

Ok, this is my area of expertice.....

First, keep in mind two things combine for antler development. First, genetics. Without a genetic predisposition for large antlers, the animal can be 7 years old and a small rack. Secondly, forage/food plays a vital role in providing the proper nutrients for antler develpment, again, only if the animal has the proper genes.

All that being said, here in Texas, I have seen 2.5 year old deer with ten tines. They are NOT the norm. I took a 2.5 year old deer last year that had 9 points. I only took him because of the nice "kicker" tine.

In Texas, we rifle hunt. Most hunting here is done in blinds, usually overlooking automatic feeders. These feeders throw corn, or a tastier snack. We also plant grain plots, and feed protien supplements during antler growing time, i.e. spring and early summer.

The deer population here is outta control. They are like rats. It is not unusual for me to see 50+ deer a day. I am not making that up. I hunt on "low fence" land, i.e. not a high fence that holds them in. It is several thousand acres. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the number of deer taken in this state was someting like 750,000 last year.

The deer here vary in size. A South Texas buck will go 160 pounds field dressed. A Central Texas buck will go 100 lbs., and a North Texas buck will go 140 lbs or so. Keep in mind those numbers vary, but as a general rule, the further South, the bigger the buck. I am sure you have all heard of the "Muy Grande" bucks in South Texas. Those are usually grown on high fenced game ranches, specifically genetically bred, and fed the best of the best food. Plan on paying $15,000 for a 160+ class buck.

Anyway, I could ramble forever.

Next week, let's talk goose and duck hunting.....

Chucky

Old 08-10-2002, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

Deer hunting in Washington State really is different at every part of the state. There are muledeer and white tail in eastern washington, and blacktail in western washington. The size of deer and rack really depends on the food source and genetics, and same goes for the elk. Yes, lets talk duck and goose hunting!

Old 08-12-2002, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

In SC we have alot,a whole lot of deer.Our season goes from Sept 1 to Jan 1.They bucks are generally big bodied,but rarley are the racks trophy sized.In my game zone there are no limits on bucks and 10 does is thier limit.Liberal limits ,huh?

Old 08-12-2002, 10:10 PM
Range Rover

No limit on bucks, 10 on does? Sounds kinda backwards....but then again, you ARE in South Carolina.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

In the county I hunt you can have a max of five whitetails, and two can be bucks. TPWD (Texas Parks and Wildlife Department) needs to raise those limits. In some cities, the deer are so abundant they come out at night and tear up gardens, and in alot of areas have learned to open trash cans and forage in the trash. They have tried netting these creatures, but the mortality rate is better than 30% when this is attempted. Damn animal lovers....rather than let hunters take 'em and use our God given molars, we try to "rescue" them, and they die a brutal death scared out of thier minds in the back of an 18 wheeler.

I read in Georgia where they hire companies that use .223's (AR-15's) equipped with night optics to thin heards in residential areas, and donate the meat to homeless/rescue shelters. That is ok.

In Michigan, you can actually get a "road kill" tag. Yes, if you hit a deer, call the highway patrol, and they come, fill out a form, and give you your "tag" so you can take the meat. I think you are allowed two tags per year, tracked thru the DMV. The idea being...they don't want you hunting with your bumper.

I love animals. I love 'em more with a little salt and pepper.....

Venison - It's not just for dinner anymore.

Chucky

Old 08-12-2002, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

10 bucks and no limit on does,yeah that is right.The doe limits are set by the number of doe tags you buy.You can purchase 5 tags with which you can legally harvest 5 does anytime during the season.Then there are are 5 either sex days.If you harvest a doe on an either sex day,you don't have to use your doe tag($5 a piece)The deer here are often just 150lb "rats"to the farmers.They can apply for "kill anything,anytime tags" when a biolist approves it do to crop damage.

Old 08-23-2002, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Down here in lower Ala. we have a fairly large deer pop. We hunt from Oct. 15 to Jan. 31 - We are allowed two(2) deer a day - only one(1) can be a buck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2002, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

In WV, we have some big bucks here. Avg. probably 160lbs to 220lbs. Getting ready for bow season, starts mid Oct. to Dec. 31st. Gun season for two weeks starting Thanksgiving week. Only bummer is muzzleloading only lasts one week. Had a banner year last year and got one with a bow, gun and muzzleloader and passed on a few more. We had Sunday hunting last year but was taken away this year [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Reading about those high fence hunting areas, there are a few of those here though I have no desire to hunt like that. To me finding the deer is part of the hunt and even though it may be a lot of land, it's not a true hunt in my opinion. What equipment do you guys use?
PSE Thunderbolt w/ 80% letoff-Has really improved my shot
Rem model 700 ADL 30.06-my favorite rifle for gun season
Knight Wolverine- Knights are accurate out of the box, wouldn't even have to sight it in before you hunt.

Old 08-26-2002, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

in maryland we can legaly take 36 deer. they changed some regs this year and in 3/4 of the state there will be unlimited doe harvest

Old 08-26-2002, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Chucky....you wouldnt want any Okie's helpin' ya thin the herd would ya?????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Here in Oklahoma we have pretty small deer. a good Buck weighs 130-160. You might hear of someone killing one over 200 lbs , but not to often. The closer you get to the Kansas border, the bigger they get.

Quick Reply: DEER AND DEER HUNTING IN YOUR STATE. POLL