Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

The best hunting quad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best hunting quad?

I just bought an 03 Kawasaki Prairie and I sure like it. There is something to be said about the totally enclosed rear brake system, easy to operate automatic tranny, V-Twin performance, lights, pulling ability, handleing, and optional accessories available.

I really like the ease of shifting from Low, high, neutral, and reverse. Just move the lever like an automatic car. No complicated proceedures like finding neutral, turning a seperate switch, etc.

The brakes work very well too with no fading or chatter etc. and they are basically non maintenence in the rear.

It handles very well and a lot of guys around here are buying them for sport machines and taking off the racks etc. for lighter weight.

The engine braking system works very well too for using engine compression coming down steep hills.

I've been around quite a few different quads and most of my buddies have them, I think that the Prairie just does everything a bit better than most others.

If you ever get a chance to ride one, do it, I think you will be impressed.

Old 01-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

suzuki king quad 300 all the way whe have owned hondas and yamahas and this year whe decided that the suzuki was the best after pulling a elk out of a hill that the other would probally not even climb it was amazing how well it did the reason that we choose the 300 is because the others are simply to big to get inot some of the places we go and they hurt enough when they roll on top of you

Old 01-22-2003, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, it isn't exactly a "quad", but it's got 4 wheels [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] . The best thing for hunting I have seen is the Polaris Ranger 4x4's. They will haul a ton of stuff, seats 2, rides pretty good, do good in mud (especially with mud tires), I mean it is perfect, unless you have a lot of really tight trails.

Just my .02 cents

Old 02-04-2003, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

the good old Big Red! it is not too big and not too small, it has low/high gears,and its a 3wheeler so if there is a tight squse between trees it will go onto to wheels if needed, oh and it has a rack

Old 02-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 01 Grizzly that I use for work in Alaska, That thing is an animal. You name it I have just about pulled it with that thing. Everything from Piling to Boats to even vehicles out of the ditches

Old 02-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

I use a AC 500i manual tranny and it's a great hunting ATV. I took it places this year that most ATV's wouldn't think of going and couldn't get it stuck. Today it was out all day plowing snow, it's a workhorse of a quad. It doesn't win many shootouts, but when was the last time you read a shootout that wasn't primarily based on trailriding fun.

Old 02-19-2003, 01:42 AM
Trailblazer

I hunt and ride with a bunch of machines. All have plenty of power...even the 300cc machines. But not all are as quiet as a Honda.

Old 02-22-2003, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

I think the best hunting quad is the one loaded down with the big elk, deer, moose, bear or any animal that you just shot.

Old 02-28-2003, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Same here - I've had a Cat 500i manual for a year, and love it. Great ground clearance, carries a heavy load on the racks without bottoming out, hauls a trailer load of cut oak (500+ pounds) with no problem. I've dragged some pretty big hardwood logs with it. A serious utility machine. Rides very nice - light steering, and comfy ride. Not the fastest for their displacement, but not slow.

My Cat has been extremely reliable - no failures of any sort in 500 miles of rolling over my rough farm, hauling heavy loads. I'd recommend a 500i without reservation. If you want to get across rough ground, haul a heavy load out, and not get your insides rattled out in the process, the Cat is about as good as you can do.

Old 05-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would get a Polaris Sportsman 400, my friend has one, it's automatic, and he has never gotten it stuck..
And believe me we have gone through deep mud. I will admit though, the arctic cats are really nice too.

Quick Reply: The best hunting quad?